News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Connecticut TA-166/U Project Phone

Started by Tribune, December 03, 2010, 04:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tribune

Yes, I'm over the moon. Looks awesome. Have to have on 8) to look at it!

My intention was to keep it as original as possible apart from the chrome finish. To that end, keeping the original thick rubber cords and getting a replacement Connecticut handset were vital. I'll also be switching back in the military-spec dial once Steve Hilz has adjusted it for me. Will not effect the phone cosmetically, but I'll know its there, lol.
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

Doug Rose

Mark....did you have it nickeled or chromed? If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it plated and how much did it set you back.....beautiful!....Doug
Kidphone

Tribune

I had it chromed at a chrome shop here in Edmonton, company called Fairmont Electroplating. They specialize primarily in automotive restoration chroming and plating, everything from bumpers down to individual nuts and bolts. I got the metal body of the phone done, plus a finger stop for a HEEMAF 1955.

Together that came in at around $80 Canadian. Aluminum is typically more expensive than pot metal as it requires more prep. I guess without the finger stop it cost me around $60.

Can't remember what I paid for the phone initially, but it wasn't much, and the handset, cord and dial were inexpensive too. My guess is that the total phone fully restored cost me under $150. Compare that to the $500 that such finished units are offered for by sellers such as OPW.
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

Craig T

That is a beauty, very nicely done  8)