News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Completed Edison Home Cylinder Player with Cygnet Horn

Started by Bill Cahill, June 14, 2010, 01:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

This project has been slowly going on for about 12 years go. Had to re calculate the time when I got to thinking when I bought it as a parts machine.
It was in pretty sad shape then. Wasn't hardly worth saving, but, I wanted the task.
Here are some pictures of the machine. I'll even try to show picture of it when I was just getting it back to running condition.
I'll have to do several postings in order to do the restoration process justice.
Here goes the first batch.....
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HarrySmith

WOW! Nice job, it looks great! How did you get the new logo? 
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AET

- Tom

Bill Cahill

The signature decal on the front of main case is a very good quality repro I bought off ebay.
The bed plate is replaced. In fact, I'm now waiting for a bed plate that will be an upgrade that will make this machine look nearly new......
It's all original.
The crane is reproduction of high quality, but, the back bracket is original.
The original elbow didn't work right, so, I removed it. I have to find a different style original.
I have a crummy repro on it for now, until then.
This is a great sounding player, and, is one of my favorite machines.
I guess you can see horn needs some restoring, as well.
Bill Cahill
Thanks much. It's truly a labor of love.
This machine is an important part of American history.....  :)

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HarrySmith

I have always loved wood, it came out excellent. That is a very nice looking repro logo also.
I was told once that one recent president and first lady chose the cylinder recording as the media for thier presidential record. I was told they did that because it is the most durable recording media made. Is there anything to substantiate this claim? Just curious, see your machine dredged up that memory, or at least most of it, I cannot remember which president it was.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Bill Cahill

Hmmm. Don't remember hearing anything about that.
The wax records weren't durable, but, in spite of being celluloid, the later cylinders held up amazingly well.
After all, cylinders have been along more than 110 years.Actually, longer than that.
My oldest one in good condition is about 1905 on Edison 2 min. wax.
Here are some of my titles I love on both formats.

2 min.
Edison- Afloat on a five dollar note Collins and, Harlan
Edison-Only a message from home sweet home  Edison male qt.
Edison-The Teddy Bears' Picnic Edison symphony orchestra
Edison-In the good old steamboat dqys Edward Meeker
4 min. BA unless otherwise noted...
My Lord's gonna move this wicked race name of qt. forgotten, but,is only one of two known actual black groups that recorded for Edison at the time.
This was a religious song sung by original slaves. A very moving song.
The Teddy Bears' Picnic Edison symphony orchestra.
Now, you didn't think I'd get the two min. of that, and, not want it on four min., would you???

The March of the toy soldiers  From Babes in Toyland
Bringin' home the bacon Kaplan's Melodists w excerpt by Vernon Dalhart
The prisoner's song-waltz  Kaplan's Melodists with excerpt by Vernon Dalhart
Don't take the next title wrong. It's a very moving, and, beutiful song. Apparently meant for children.
The Pickanninny blues. Edison male qt.
The word could have been better chosen, but, the song is very moving...
Ragtiem violin  Billy Murray and, chorus
Gasoline Gus and, his jittney bus Billy Murray and, chorus
Casey Jones Billy Murray and, chorus
How do you do..  Billy Jones and, Ernest Hare-The Happiness boys.
In the little red school house. Billy Jones, and, Ernest Hare-The Happiness boys.
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here! Male qt.
Holy, Holy, Holy. Lord, God, Almighty. Edison Mixed qt.
Alcoholic Blues Tenor Indestructable cylinder
Overture to Semiranede-Edison symphony orchestra.
Just to name a few of my favorites......  :)
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on June 14, 2010, 01:22:06 PM
Looks like a million bucks! Great work!

:o I think it's costing me that much!  ;D

Pardon my reversed spelling on some of my words. My brain shorts out while typing, and, I sometimes miss the typos.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Correction on In the good old steamboat days. That was actually Murray K Hill.
Bill Cahill

Dennis Markham

Very nice Bill.  That is a beautiful machine.  I'm sure you got a great deal of pleasure in bring that back to life.  Thanks for sharing it.

Bill Cahill

Quote from: Dennis Markham on June 14, 2010, 03:06:45 PM
Very nice Bill.  That is a beautiful machine.  I'm sure you got a great deal of pleasure in bring that back to life.  Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks. I've made my mistakes, and, I'm still learning, but, it's one of my favorite machines. I most love the machines I resurect. Reason? Simple. I'm helping to save history.
You guys are at your best on your phones. I can't do as well on those, and, the one phone in living room keeps falling, and, breaking. My old dog trips on the wire.
Oh, well.
But, My little niche is restoring Edisons, and, saving deat tv's.
I thank God for these gifts....
Bill Cahill

AET

All restorations are pricey, but they are very rewarding.

Quote from: Bill Cahill on June 14, 2010, 02:31:58 PM
Quote from: AtomicEraTom on June 14, 2010, 01:22:06 PM
Looks like a million bucks! Great work!

:o I think it's costing me that much!  ;D

Pardon my reversed spelling on some of my words. My brain shorts out while typing, and, I sometimes miss the typos.
Bill Cahill
- Tom

McHeath

It's a great machine, and you've done good work!  I've only seen one in a museum, never live and never a working one.  Hows the sound?

Bill Cahill

Tthe sound is fantastic!
I have a Standard, as you guys know, with a large front horn. It sounds good. But, the cygnet horn beats that. Now, if I am eventually able to upgrade the reproducer to say like a combination O with a larger diaphram, also, a bigger price tag, I'll get even better sound.
The ultimate is the wood music master cygnet horns. But, they are also quite a bit more money.
I did well with what I have.
Bill Cahill

bwanna

beautiful & commendable work, bill. you truly are preserving a bit of history. very interesting song titles, wish i could hear them.
what did you use on the wood case?
donna

Bill Cahill

I used two coats of  dark walnut stain. Then, a coat of golden oak stain, followed by several coats of orange shelac, with rubbing in between each coat. The original finnish on these machines was also orange shelac.
Thanks for your kind compliments.
It's definately a labor of love...
Bill Cahill

I also have other favorite cylinders......