News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

197GT

Started by Payphone installer, March 03, 2018, 11:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

I went and dug up a 197GT after reading the post on the 174GT and noticed it was a really interesting phone. as I suspected the GT was a later hopper and relay like a 233G but the rest was old. Even more interesting is this phone was a 181G turned into a 197GT but they did not bother to remove the 181G parts. This phone even had the swing out chute from a 181.

Payphone installer

Front of phone

poplar1

I can't see the markings too well on this Amazon Fire tablet, but it looks like it says 191GT, not 197GT.
Wouldn't 197 have coin release button and pull bucket?

What year did WE stop putting the Z on the number plates of new coin phones?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: poplar1 on March 03, 2018, 12:31:33 PM
I can't see the markings too well on this Amazon Fire tablet, but it looks like it says 191GT, not 197GT.
Wouldn't 197 have coin release button and pull bucket?

What year did WE stop putting the Z on the number plates of new coin phones?
I believe you're right, 191GT.

I would guess they stopped putting "Z" on the paystation plates the same time they stopped on 3" dial plates. When was it, 1953, 1954? I dunno, you know better than I!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Payphone installer

Yep you are correct it is 191G which makes more since as a upgrade from a 181G.

RotarDad

Jim - I just noted something in your first 191GT pic in this thread.  The switchhook contact has been broken off the pileup and appears to be lying behind the pileup.  Was this a phone co. method of rendering the phone inperable when removed from service or???  I've never seen a switchhook broken off like that.
Paul