News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who among us has the newest WE 500? And newer non-WE 500 types?

Started by bellsystemproperty, October 25, 2009, 07:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: masstel on October 27, 2010, 02:35:06 PM
65?  I have phones in my collection made by Western Electric dated as late as 1979.  To my eyes, they still appear to be of high-quality Western Electric standards.

I agree when AT&T phone manufacturing went off-shore, the sets became worthless.  But that happened decades after 1965...

The latest dated I have in my collection is a 65.  I didn't say that they were no good after that, or they (WE) didn't make them after that, just that I generally limit my purchases to the 60s and earlier.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Adam

Quote from: Brinybay on October 27, 2010, 03:04:09 PM
I didn't say that they were no good after that, or they (WE) didn't make them after that, just that I generally limit my purchases to the 60s and earlier.

Sorry I misunderstood you.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Just4Phones

These are my newest hardwireds.  They are dated 1970/1975

This is my newest modular.  It's dated 1977

Adam

just4, that's a pretty phone!  As I said the other day in another thread, I'm currently enamored with WE yellow...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Just4Phones

Quote from: masstel on October 27, 2010, 08:13:16 PM
just4, that's a pretty phone!  As I said the other day in another thread, I'm currently enamored with WE yellow...

Thanks.  I am partial to yellow as well ;)  I just got this one which is currently my new favorite.  And it lights up :P  It has princess guts

Just4Phones

Here is some more yellows ;)

Dave F

Quote from: masstel on October 27, 2010, 02:50:24 PM
But, I'd seriously like to know the answer to the original question, too.

Russkirk's set looks like fun, but it's not a 500D.  It's an AT&T phone that was made in the style of a 500 set, and it's touch tone.

So, when was the actual last date a rotary phone was made in the US by Western Electric with the model number 500D?

Yes, the original question concerns only rotary-dial 500 sets made in a U.S. factory by Western Electric.  We know that 2500s lived on in varying degrees of shoddiness well after the breakup, but what about the rotary sets?  I have a few from the late 1970s, but will have to dig them out to verify actual dates.  What about the 80s?  Weren't there some special colors (e.g. Country Blue, etc) still being produced into the mid 80s?

Dave F

Quote from: Russkirk on October 27, 2010, 01:25:23 PM
Well,  due the decline in quality I have not actively collected newer sets.  The newest I have (forgive me) is not a rotary,  but a WE 2500MMGJ.  No dates anywhere but inside the case, 1986.

I have to say it is the poorest quality I have ever seen in WE/ATT equipment.  When I opened the set, unlike most other sets, it literally fell apart in my hands. The screws fell on the floor and the TT pad and spring fell.

Welcome to the brave new world of deregulation and customer-provided telephone repair.  Sheds a whole new positive light on the word "Monopoly", doesn't it?!

Dave F

Quote from: Just4Phones on October 27, 2010, 08:19:41 PM
Quote from: masstel on October 27, 2010, 08:13:16 PM

Thanks.  I am partial to yellow as well ;)  I just got this one which is currently my new favorite.  And it lights up :P  It has princess guts
I realize this is off-topic for this thread, but here is a yellow 1500.

Just4Phones

Quote from: Dave F on October 27, 2010, 09:10:09 PM
[Yes, the original question concerns only rotary-dial 500 sets made in a U.S. factory by Western Electric.  We know that 2500s lived on in varying degrees of shoddiness well after the breakup, but what about the rotary sets?  I have a few from the late 1970s, but will have to dig them out to verify actual dates.  What about the 80s?  Weren't there some special colors (e.g. Country Blue, etc) still being produced into the mid 80s?

Sorry but I didn't realize I went off topic or misunderstood the topic.   I do beg to differ however as none of the phones I pictured are "shoddy" and every one is a high quality Western Electric telephone that I am proud to own.  The Decotel is not "shoddy" either. 

bingster

The Western Electric branded phones are high quality items, but Dave meant specifically the phones made after the breakup in 1984.  Those aren't branded Western Electric, and are much lower quality.  Not yours--the newer ones.

So the newest rotary we've got in the thread so far is 1979?  Anybody have one made between 1979 and 1984?

= DARRIN =

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

If you mean a rotary and not a touchtone, mine is a 1984 with 1956 innards. It was a buck at a yard sale.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dave F

Quote from: bingster on October 28, 2010, 08:34:40 PM
The Western Electric branded phones are high quality items, but Dave meant specifically the phones made after the breakup in 1984.  Those aren't branded Western Electric, and are much lower quality.  Not yours--the newer ones.
Yes, please don't misunderstand what I meant: I love WE 2500s.  I think they're great.  The shoddiness I was referring to concerns only those later non-WE sets that came out of Asia after the breakup of Ma Bell.