News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg "hotel" or "residence" phone - won't ring --> Problem Solved, it rings

Started by shortrackskater, November 25, 2017, 07:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

I just got this yesterday. I did a mini clean up on it and will do some more later. The mouthpiece metal portion appears to have been painted but I'm not sure if that's original or not. It looks like it's brass. The paint seems to be very thin and it looks like it would look better unpainted and polished.
With all that in mind, does anyone know any more on these phones? I see a few different models out there but not a whole lot. From what I see so far, it looks closest to an F729 (?) although the transmitter portion seems to vary from the models I've seen.
Mark J.

shortrackskater

I plugged in in. It works!
Now I need to figure out how to wire the ringer properly. Anyone?
Mark J.

Doug Rose

Try bridging Red to ground. If that doesn't work......try bridging green to ground....good luck...it's a beauty.....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

shortrackskater

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 26, 2017, 08:00:08 PM
Try bridging Red to ground. If that doesn't work......try bridging green to ground....good luck...it's a beauty.....Doug

Thanks Doug. I'll be home a little later to try this out.
Mark J.

shortrackskater

Quote from: rdelius on November 27, 2017, 07:16:16 PM
Your transmitter is a AE type 42

Thank you. Is that common I wonder for the transmitters to be swapped out Kellogg for AE?
It looks like it's brass and, as I said earlier, I think it would look better unpainted and polished.
Mark J.

shortrackskater

Ok I'm not sure which red or green to which ground? Case ground? I have no wiring diagram for this.
Mark J.

shortrackskater

In the meantime, I removed the transmitter and took off the flaky paint and just polished it. I think it looks much better in brass anyway. And yep... it's a type 42. I know nothing about those either.

Standing by in hopes someone will know the answer to my ringing issue. :)
Mark J.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

TelePlay

Hard to tell by the one internal image but this looks like a frequency ringer. Images below of your ringer and two frequency ringers from a Kellogg catalog.

And, Doug, how would you bridge this phone's wiring? Connect what to where?

Doug Rose

Where the red or green teminates run another wire to ground. Just check to see where the ringer wires terminate. Usually one on ground and one one red or green. Bridge ground to either red or green that is not connected to the ringer. Sometimes you can get a frequency ringer to ring at a lower volume. Quick and easy to try...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

When you connected DT to it, on what positions did you connect?

Pos 3 and 5 have the ringer wired to them, 4 is strapped to five.

Pos 4 should be one for DT. Try connecting red to pos 4 and call the phone with your cell  and move green from pos to pos and see if it rings....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Quote from: shortrackskater on November 27, 2017, 09:09:43 PM
Ok I'm not sure which red or green to which ground? Case ground? I have no wiring diagram for this.

The terminal strip the wiring is connected to should be stamped, as the one in Doug's picture is. One should be stamped GND for ground.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 28, 2017, 06:15:31 PM
The terminal strip the wiring is connected to should be stamped, as the one in Doug's picture is. One should be stamped GND for ground.

Doug used a part of the original posted image. I cut out the terminal strip, rotated it 180° and numbered the terminals. 6 and 5 are showing so I assume they go from 6 to 1, as shown - no G.

shortrackskater

THANK YOU ALL
I will be home in a couple hours. Will post back ASAP.
Mark J.