"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning & re springing cloth covered coiled cords

Started by Pourme, April 30, 2016, 07:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Dear phone whispers,
I did several searches and couldn't find a specific method of cleaning and restoring the structure of coiled fabric covered cords. I have used the soaking and oven baking of vinyl cords with excellent results. Is the method the same for cloth covered cords? If this was already covered please point me in that direction. Thanks!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on April 30, 2016, 07:20:53 PM
Dear phone whispers,
I did several searches and couldn't find a specific method of cleaning and restoring the structure of coiled fabric covered cords. I have used the soaking and oven baking of vinyl cords with excellent results. Is the method the same for cloth covered cords? If this was already covered please point me in that direction. Thanks!

I have cleaned the cloth cords with various soaps and Woolite. I wind them on a wooden dowel and wet them in hot water. While wet on the dowel I have also scrubbed them with a tooth brush and soap.  After rinsing several times in very hot water, I let them dry.  Lately I have used a heated air gun (1500 W, 375 ÂșC) to start drying them, the heat help the recoiling, and while wet the cord shouldn't get too hot.  You have to be careful that the rubber insulation under the cloth coat does not melt, so I would avoid doing that with a dry cord.

Here is a before and after example:

I am not very confident that the coil lasts very long when used a lot.  To me it is really for display purposes, to be able to reuse the original cords and keep them looking a little neat at least.

Pourme

I will put your advice into action tomorrow...as usual Unbeldi I am grateful for your informative response. I'll post some before and afters!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

Hi Benny, I hate to rush you but how did the cord turn out? I have at least 1 cord that needs work.
Gary