News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Starlite dial

Started by Jonny R, January 20, 2011, 12:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny R

I just bought a pink starlite off eBay.  Has the early plug (no transformer).  When I plug it in it doesn't light, the ring is getting power (tested with multimeter), is the ring repairable?  The ring appears to be in good shape, any suggestions ??? Or maybe just a lead on where I could find a replacement one that works!

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jonny R on January 20, 2011, 12:29:44 AM
I just bought a pink starlite off eBay.  Has the early plug (no transformer).  When I plug it in it doesn't light, the ring is getting power (tested with multimeter), is the ring repairable?  The ring appears to be in good shape, any suggestions ??? Or maybe just a lead on where I could find a replacement one that works!

Hi Jonny R and welcome to the Classic Rotary Phones Forum!

Some of the AE Electro-luminescent panels seem to eventually die or at least get weak. You have proved that the 120VAC is making it through the "volume control" on the right side?

I think it is "Stub" (Ken) here on the forum who found that in most cases it is something to do with the connections on the panel itself. he will likely chime in here soon....

Terry

stub

Jonny R ,
             Sorry , I came in late. Welcome to the Classic Rotary Phones Forum!!  Yes they are repairable,  if the electroluminescent panel is not broken or cracked. You will have to remove it from the phone to repair it. The connections on the ring , where the metal tabs are attached ,  break and lose their contact with the chemical coating on the panel. If you send it to me I'll try to fix it, no charge, just shipping to return it to you or I'll pm you my recipe if you want to try it yourself. I have fixed four of my AE Starlites and they work great.!!!!! Look at this link.        Keep your phones ringing !!  stub

http://tinyurl.com/4ttb7np
Kenneth Stubblefield

HarrySmith

Welcome Johnny!
Be careful, this stuff is highly addictive!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jonny R

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
   Yes Terry the power is making it out of the volume control dial on the phone, although when the potentiometer is all the way "up" the voltage reading is only about 107 volts not the 116 coming off the cord.  Hey stub thanks for the link, nice work on the phones.  Yes I would love your recipe, I love taking things apart and tinkering,  when I opened this one up the original wiring diagram was still inside.  Some of the surface coating on the ring is missing in some spots I don't know if this has any affect on it.  Harry, I think its too late, I already have three rotary dial phones and I am still looking.   This is my first AE and I love the way the dial is smooth and quick, and that sound of small gears whirring ;D
Jon

HarrySmith

Yeah, sounds like you are already hooked ;D
At least you have plenty of company. We even have group "meetings". There should be one near you :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

stub

Jonny R ,
              The spots, or chips , will always remain dark.   recipe on the way tomorrow.  One shot ,Good luck.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield