News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Mahogany Brown beauty in the horizon ...

Started by JorgeAmely, May 31, 2009, 11:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

I wish I did, Dennis!  As for my generosity on the brown one-- it's extra to my needs & I've got my money's worth out of the other dials in the lot.  Besides, there are several here who have given me invaluable info. & insight on my personal collection.  I'm just trying to return the favor where I can.
Stephen

Dan/Panther

That is what makes a good forum work...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Jester, I certainly appreciate that.

I bought an Oxford Gray 500 a while back.  I plugged it in and was enjoying using it when about the second time on the phone I turned in my chair and pulled it to the floor causing some damage to the dial ring.  It was apparently brittle.  The phone fell on the raised portion (luckily the case did not crack) and pieces fell to the floor.  I was not a happy camper as one might expect.  It actually gave me that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.  So I am on the continual search for a replacement.

(I posted this photo back in January on another topic)

Jester

Dennis,
I know that had to be gut wrenching.  I remember you describing the damage when I posted the picture of my two-tone, but I was picturing the break under the cover where it wouldn't be seen-- not a crystalline breakout like I see in the picture.  It is a fantastic phone in every other way-- I can see why you would want another bezel.  I have not looked this thread up, so I don't know what suggestions were made when you originally posted this.  It seems to me, though, that you still have plenty of bezel left to affect a repair.  Finding a suitable accryllic filler to build up the broken out areas is where I'd start.  If you could color match it instead of just filling w/ clear, even better.  Then, some light sanding over the affected areas to lessen the "shattered" look surrounding the breakout, and obviously contouring the repair to the shape of the outer bezel.  As a final touch, I'd cover the entire bezel surface with a slow acting clear accrylic agent, then apply a vacuformed clear plastic cover right over the entire bezel & trim off the flash, reopen holes, etc.  Anybody remember vacuformed styrene model kits, or reading how to make a suction box, frame & molds to form your own parts?  This would laminate the damaged plastic between the new clear outer shell & the white base underneath the color ring that supports the numbers & letters.  A replacement would be desired, but I think this kind of repair could work.  It would make sense, though, to experiment with worthless junk & perfect the procedure before commiting the only useful example you have to this idea.
Stephen

Steve

I can feel your pain .
every time you post that photo, you make baby hey'seuss cry.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dennis Markham

Jester, thanks for the suggestions.  That all sounds pretty detailed.  I think I will first try and find a replacement.  I have not exhausted all of my options yet.  Although I did post a request on both the ATCA and TCI List Serves looking for a replacement bezel.  

You can see from the photo that the entire dial ring appears to be shattered, probably was like that when I got it.  The pieces look like they're just waiting to crumble from the bottom layer of plastic.  I've never seen one like this before, or since.

Jester

I can understand that.  You can add one more pair of eyes to your posse.
Stephen

bingster

Dennis, your oxford gray bezel looks similar to the way my '57 red looked.  The bezel's top color layer looks to have de-laminated from the bottom color layer. 

= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, it does look like that.  Perhaps there was a flaw in the plastic on the early sets.  Yours looks like the top layer just broke away from the bottom.

Jester

Back to the auction;
I sure thought this one would break $200.00-- someone got a deal!  Is the winner a forum member?
Stephen

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dennis Markham on June 01, 2009, 04:03:02 PM
Jester, I certainly appreciate that.

I bought an Oxford Gray 500 a while back.  I plugged it in and was enjoying using it when about the second time on the phone I turned in my chair and pulled it to the floor causing some damage to the dial ring.  It was apparently brittle.  The phone fell on the raised portion (luckily the case did not crack) and pieces fell to the floor.  I was not a happy camper as one might expect.  It actually gave me that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.  So I am on the continual search for a replacement.

(I posted this photo back in January on another topic)

Dennis:

Did you try Vern Potter in Salt Lake City?  He may have something.  He has a lot of oddball early colored 500 parts.  If it does, it may take him a while to look. 

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
Maybe that problem is from disimilar plastics separating over time from exspansion and retraction ?

Dennis;
Having another look at you dial bezel, it dawned on me that the color I'm looking at is almost identical to hardened JB Weld.
Check it out.
D/P

Dennis;
I noticed that as I scroll down, to where previous posts are listed below the reply box, Bingsters photo of his red bezel appears , but no others, This is the first photo I've seen in the previous posts area ?
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, I'm not following your comment about seeing photos from previous posts.  You're seeing Bingster's photo of the red dial bezel but cannot see the photo I posted of the cracked Oxford Gray bezel???

bingster

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 07, 2009, 03:39:56 PM
Bingster;
Maybe that problem is from disimilar plastics separating over time from exspansion and retraction ?

That could very well be the case.  The phone's shell is slightly warped, and I'm thinking it may have been relegated to an attic, where it would have been subjected to extreme heat and cold cycles.  It was extremely filthy, too, so it may have been in an outbuilding of some sort, where the same conditions would have occurred.

By the way, Dennis' photo is on this page, a few posts above mine.   You're not seeing it?
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

When I go to post a reply, and scroll down to read previous posts below the reply box, Bingsters photo shows up, but no other ones do. They all show up in the posts, just not in the previous posts under the reply box. It's not really a problem, just wondered why I've never seen photos below the reply box before ?
It doesn't effect the list view, just when you go to reply.

D/P