News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 500 basic info?

Started by HobieSport, May 11, 2009, 11:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

The SC 500 (is that it's correct name?) is one of the few phones very similar to the WE 500 that I don't yet have, and I would like to get one, so I have a few basic questions:

What year did the SC 500 first appear?

Did the early black ones ever come with a metal finger wheel?  (I've never seen one so I'm suspecting not.)

Is it true that the colors of the SC 500s are very similar to the WE 500s, with the addition of the Lime Green and the Orange?

The SC 500 also looks very close in form to the WE 500 (at least to me, in photos, since I don't have one in front of me yet to compare) so are there any obvious outward differences in design between the two?

And lastly, how does the quality, components and layout of the interior compare to the WE 500? (I don't need all the details, just a basic idea.)

Thanks y'all in advance for any info.

BDM

I'm not sure exactly, but I believe the early to mid 60s. Meaning from 63/65 era they became available, replacing the 1543 type sets. BTW, SC converted some of the latter 1543 to 500 look-a-likes with new shells.

Never seen one with a metal wheel. Seems the metal wheels went away in the late 50s with the 1543.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Quote from: BDM
BTW, SC converted some of the latter 1543 to 500 look-a-likes with new shells.

That's interesting, Brian. Sort of like the WE 5302, in a way. I wonder if the 1543s that where converted to 500 look-a-likes ever retained their original dials or if they were swapped for new ones.