"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 32A14?

Started by Pourme, December 20, 2017, 08:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

Did anyone see this auction play out last night?

I didn't know about this phone until I saw this auction. I researched it on TCI and decided I would like to have it. It even has the cut away dial. Christmas season isn't the best time for me to get into a bidding war on EBAY, so I passed and watched it go away. $112.00 don't seem bad for this piece. The winner probably had a high max bid to support his last minute snipe.

https://tinyurl.com/y8svnk9g

As it turns out, I probably wouldn't have had a chance to win the bid at any reasonable price. The winner, a***a with 2,843 transactions has bid on 61 items in the last 30 days. All but 1 was telephone related. Looks like most were last minute snipes. Anybody here want to 'fess up? Is a***a a forum member?

Correct me if I am wrong but I see this as AE's version of the Fat Boy. One of the first self contained desk sets. Likely produced in mid 1930's? What was WE's first self contained desk set?

Oh well, I will keep an eye out for the next one. Maybe next time I won't be gifting 15 children, spouses & Grand Children.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

rdelius

Used for intercoms and small PABX use This was a not intendend to be used on a standard telephone line. Ringer was not as sensitive.The SCset was a standard telephone.I suspect the AE came first because of the type number

Pourme

Quote from: rdelius on December 20, 2017, 10:28:10 AM
Used for intercoms and small PABX use This was a not intendend to be used on a standard telephone line. Ringer was not as sensitive.The SCset was a standard telephone.I suspect the AE came first because of the type number

This is what I read earlier. It appears to be a self contained telephone. It says nothing about a intercom.

Benny
Benny

TelePlay

I think others know more but from the catalog page you posted, there are suggestions within the text (underlined in red) to tend to make me believe that it may be best used as an "intercom" or private exchange within one building.

Terry should know better and can provide the technical background and normal use for this phone.

With them stating a harmonic ringer can not be used, that would strongly suggest it would not be a phone used in a private residence on a line with 5 to 15 other phones all tuned to a different frequency for individual ringing.

Just guessing from the little I've picked up on the forum. Others feel free to add, agree or correct me.

Pourme

I could be wrong, that's why I brought it to the forum...to those more learned than me, in these matters.

I did notice it was odd that it had only one gong in the ringer, that's different.

Very curious about this, since I had never seen one before this week.

Benny
Benny

rdelius

As I stated Intercom or small pabx .Simplified parts were used to keep costs down.Short loops, not regular telephone lines to a CO
Tuned ringers would run up costs .not many talking paths poss 2 at the most.The ringer was lower impedance and had an  interrupter if used with DC ringing. Some of these sets had dials on them without the impulse  cam or muting contact but slide a comtact  to which set was dialed.Put on your yacht or home.Did not call the outside  world.Why do collectors shun intercom and similar sets?.Are they  not worthy?

Pourme

This one was very popular. The bidding was very active.

Thank you redelius for the information. I read the information but guess I only seen what I wanted to see...

I would have been proud to have it in my collection!

Benny
Benny

stub

Benny,
            Here's the AE Catalog 4033 link from TCI library - https://tinyurl.com/ya2fj7zw    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

That's interesting. Page 11 states the dial is turned to the other phone numbered station to be called (0 to 9), the dial stays at that position, a button is pressed to find the bell in that phone, the other phone is picked up and the conversation takes place.

Then, when the receiver is put back on the cradle,  the dial wheel returns to its starting position. So, let's not a regular dial. Is it a Select-O-Phone dial or something else?

Pourme

I think perhaps the particular phone in this auction may be the one on page 19. The phone on page 11 has a spit cup the one on page 19 has a different configuration on the transmitter cup that matches the auction phone. This phone requires 2 numbers to be dialed. First number is the extension and the second rings the dialed extension, no button on the phone.

Benny
Benny

TelePlay

Yes, you are right. I was focusing on the use of the "dial" and not the match of the hardware. The phone on page 11 was the first with a full dial and didn't look for a button. Reading a pdf file on my small smart phone is not that easy with bad eyes.

Makes sense, connect to a phone on the system with the first digit dialed and then dial again to ring the bell. Not a standard dial.

AE_Collector

Yes page 11 AutoCom System would have a specific Dial in each phone but isn't likely what Pourme will get. I have never seen one of those dials.

The phone on Page 19 with the "different looking transmitter cap" indicates the phone has the induction coil receiver and no induction coil in the base. These phones were obviously less expensive to build and could easily be used on short loops such as on PBX and PAX systems.

Terry

TelePlay

Pages 18-20 show the private exchange components used to make these phones work. Interesting items. The TCI file from the link above is attached for quick reference.

stub

Terry,
         Here is the dial on the Auto-Com System AM 73 .  This one uses the 1 A base.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Pretty simplistic but inexpensive but reliable was what they were going for. One could purchase a phone on eBay with this dial and have no idea what was wrong with it until they opened up the base! Looks just like a normal dial on the outside.

AE made a load of different Intercom, PAX & PABX systems along with as many or more different set types to use with them.

Terry