News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BSP mauals

Started by Babybearjs, July 18, 2014, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

did the bell system ever make a station service manual that had all the different model phones shown, basically just like the key station service manual but only showing non-key phone sets?  I'm trying to archive manuals and it would help if everything was in 1 book... I found the KSSM, 1-2 and the SSSM 1 and 2... but the manual I'm trying to find is like the ITT manual that shows all the models... I'm trying to repair a 2558DM, and need more schematics on specific parts... (I.E. the exclusion switch and the line key.) the library is so vast and not all the entries explain the content.
John

unbeldi

I think the library has the "Station Installation Handbook" from the New England Telephone company of 1969.

cihensley@aol.com

I have an extra copy of a New York Telephone 1969 Station Installation hand book. Free to anyone that wants to pay the $11.50 priority (medium box) mailing fee. This is a Bell System publication, so all telephone schematics pertain to WeCo sets.

Chuck

Babybearjs

I'll take a look. that may be what I'm looking for.
John

paul-f

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 18, 2014, 04:59:24 PM
did the bell system ever make a station service manual that had all the different model phones shown, basically just like the key station service manual but only showing non-key phone sets?  I'm trying to archive manuals and it would help if everything was in 1 book... I found the KSSM, 1-2 and the SSSM 1 and 2... but the manual I'm trying to find is like the ITT manual that shows all the models... I'm trying to repair a 2558DM, and need more schematics on specific parts... (I.E. the exclusion switch and the line key.) the library is so vast and not all the entries explain the content.

1. You are close, you want the SSM -- usually published in 2 volumes like the KSSM.  The 1969 volumes by operating companies were larger format and earlier.  For evolution, see:

http://www.paul-f.com/BSP.html#Handbooks

They were bound, so not updateable and were reprinted about every year during the 1970s.  Therefore having one set does not guarantee that you will find what you want.  That's one of the reasons we started the Library.

Check out the list of bound handbooks to see how many you need to collect:
   http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsps/doc_details/10577-bell-system-handbooks-list

A 1969 Installation manual is here:
   http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsps/doc_details/9972-nett-station-installation-hb-1969-ra-ocr-r-large-file

2. If you search the Library for 2558, you get 6 hits.  Check them out.  If you don't find what you want, try the Google Search.  It looks inside documents, so gets more results, but many include only incidental references to the search term.  You get 54 hits for 2558.

You can focus in by adding more keywords.  A Google search for 2558dm wiring produces 9 hits.

3. Some BSPs are identified only by the BSP number.  To find them without using the Google search look in a BSP index document.  For sets like the 2558, start with 502-000-000, the index for division 502.  Look for BSPs that relate to the 2558 in the index, then enter their number(s) in the search engine.

Believe me, it's worth getting up the learning curve to be able to find things in the Library.  It's absolutely amazing, compared to the way we looked for info 10 years ago.

Happy hunting.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Babybearjs

well, the Station Installation Manual (SSM) is not quite what I was hoping for. the information covers areas that are unrelated to the telephone sets specifically. when you look through the KSSM, it shows all the information about the systems and an assortment of schematics. in the SSM, it covers first aide and other items no related to the telephones. I was hoping to find more intensive information about the telephone sets only. I'l keep looking and see what I find... it looks like this area was too broad to put everything in I book.... but you never know.
John

paul-f

The SSMs were intended to be used by installers, so primarily focus on the "Connections" (wiring diagrams).

The more detailed BSPs that cover topics like Selection, Identification, Reference and Maintenance were rarely included in the handbooks.  They were in the large multi-binder BSP sets back at the shop.

http://www.paul-f.com/BSP.html

Babybearjs

that's the one I'm looking for but am only finding the station "Specialties" service manual....  where is just the Station Service manual?
John

paul-f

I'm not aware of any copies currently available on-line. 

While we don't have a SSM in one document in the TCI Library, many of the BSPs that are filed by BSP number only were reportedly scanned from SSMs.  The contributors believed it was far better to put each BSP in a separate file, so a reader doesn't have to download the entire SSM in order to get one or two BSPs.

In fact, several volunteers have written scripts to separate individual BSPs from the large handbook pdfs, to make them easier to find.

One goal is to have each BSP in a separate file and identified by issue number and date.  Then when searching for a particular BSP, we'll see several issues and be able to either select the one closest to the date on the phone or several issues that will show the evolution of the product over time.

If you want a copy of the SSM, the paper handbooks do show up occasionally on ebay and elsewhere at nominal prices.  For example, you missed this copy for $9.99 plus postage:
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/321403788371

If you get one and scan it, we'll gladly post it in the Library.

If you'd like to volunteer to add issue numbers, dates and descriptions to the BSPs currently in the Library to make them easier to find, we can use the help.

Babybearjs

Paul, thanks for the info. Phil Mc Carter has almost the whole library on his shelf... I'm going to be in Oregon on  the first, so I can get them through him... If you have a copy of the SSM, get it digitized and give a copy to TCI...  both phil and I agree, its hard to find documents in the library because a lot of the entries don't have any heading other then the BSP number.... the number is nice but what is it??? more work needs to be done in the library with the listings.... and which is better, having the whole book, or just the one section.... I noticed that someone has taken a lot of energy by posting individual parts of the KSSM entries... that's nice but, it should be in a subcategory of the library...listed under KEY SYSTEM FILES... that way they are easier to find....
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 20, 2014, 08:46:31 PM
Paul, thanks for the info. Phil Mc Carter has almost the whole library on his shelf... I'm going to be in Oregon on  the first, so I can get them through him... If you have a copy of the SSM, get it digitized and give a copy to TCI...  both phil and I agree, its hard to find documents in the library because a lot of the entries don't have any heading other then the BSP number.... the number is nice but what is it??? more work needs to be done in the library with the listings.... and which is better, having the whole book, or just the one section.... I noticed that someone has taken a lot of energy by posting individual parts of the KSSM entries... that's nice but, it should be in a subcategory of the library...listed under KEY SYSTEM FILES... that way they are easier to find....

Well, that may be true to a degree, but there is the list view of BSPs.  Also the indexes are online for everything.  The key is to look into the indexes first to see what the right document is and then search for the BSP numbers. This give you a complete overview of what can possibly be available.  If it isn't in the library, then you can start asking collectors for what you need.

But I agree with the critique of not having full titles for many, and that direct searching can be difficult.

paul-f

I have already described in this topic how anyone can use the Google search to do a text search.

We have a very small group of volunteers working on the Library. 

We have advertised for volunteers to help add to the document descriptions, but so far we have none.

You have the power to help make this better.

Why not become part of the solution and volunteer some time to help improve the Library?

Babybearjs

that's part of a librarians job... to make sure everything is properly filed..... I thought all you guys knew all this stuff... or at least looked it up.... I know card catalogs have gone digital, but the information still should be regularly checked and edited....
John