"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dark Gray Kellogg DK-530

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 31, 2014, 03:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 15, 2017, 08:51:33 AM
If I had one, I would, but I do have a partial soft plastic green 500 with a damaged shell which could be repurposed for this.  The base has the proper holes for mounting the switch.

Larry
AFAIK all 500 set bases have the holes for the switch or volume control on 532/533/536 sets.  You can always move it all to a 510 base assem. if one comes your way later.

LarryInMichigan

I finally reassembled my dark gray banjo frankenphone this morning.  I moved the gray Kellogg shell and handset to the base from the damaged soft plastic green WE 500 and used a dial, ringer, and cords from my parts inventory.  The button for the corner came from a junk Select-O-Phone and is only there to fill the hole and look appropriate.  The phone is on my desk now.

Larry

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Outstanding job Larry....looks like its brand new!!...Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

RotarDad

Really nice, Larry!  A dark gray banjo - that must be a great look on your desk....  I'm with AGB on keeping an eye out for a Kellogg 2-line phone to be the final destination for the gray parts, but up to you.  A beauty either way!
Paul

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: RotarDad on July 05, 2017, 09:53:32 PM
Really nice, Larry!  A dark gray banjo - that must be a great look on your desk....  I'm with AGB on keeping an eye out for a Kellogg 2-line phone to be the final destination for the gray parts, but up to you.  A beauty either way!
Yes, seeing how nice it looks I'm reminded that I have a dark gray Select-o-Phone wall phone (essentially a 554) tucked away that is not getting the appreciation it deserves.  But of course it does not have the unique "banjo" styling.

LarryInMichigan

Thank you all for the comments.  The phone did come out nice looking.  I wouldn't mind finding an oxford gray dial bezel a matching cords for it.

Since I only have one phone line, making a two-line phone is not high on my list, but it is an interesting idea.

Larry

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 06, 2017, 06:55:52 AM
Thank you all for the comments.  The phone did come out nice looking.  I wouldn't mind finding an oxford gray dial bezel a matching cords for it.

Since I only have one phone line, making a two-line phone is not high on my list, but it is an interesting idea.

Larry
Two line phones were sometimes used for one CO line plus a manual point-to-point intercom.  The twist key has a signaling function which was pressed to operate a buzzer in one or more other phones.  This is useful for transferring calls when one or more phones is out of hearing range of others (or someone has ear buds on 24x7).  ;D

However there is no HOLD function on the CO line so you cannot switch to the ICM and talk to other two line phones while an incoming call is waiting, only signal them with the buzzer.