"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wanted: assortment of WE parts

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 31, 2015, 07:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on February 02, 2015, 04:25:04 PM
I thought that sounded familiar.  I did, but I sold it.  It wasn't very well suited for repairing markings on phones.  Most of the stamps seemed to be more for electrical symbols more than anything else.  The number fonts were too large and it was missing the hyphen mark (-) .  I practiced with some of them and found it difficult to get a good clear stamp like the originals.  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5557.0

I would be more interested in a modern equivalent, like the 4 - 6 digit adjustable banded markers, but I don't know the proper size and type of font that would be needed.
Yours must have been missing many of its stamps. Mine has the 1/8 and 5/64  stamps and also the - symbols for all sizes of stamp. In fact both the NR-2315 and the N-2315 I have (all were made by Neuses)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

I do agree with Paul and not add any markings. Make it look as real as possible but markings could confuse people later as years go by. Ray K marks his creations so never to be confused as the real deal. Just my humble opinion...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Okay, I won't mark it (makes the work I do on this set easier anyway!)  I will add a F.T (shortened field trial, because I'm sick of hearing myself say those words :o) label on the inside housing, but will include a reference to another F.T set (866). Since all of the markings are already gone in the housing, I think I'll powder coat it, to make the finish really stand up to wear and tear for whoever gets this phone next.

I think it would be cool to have a piece of paper with the F.T model stamped on it with the same font and color, and have it on display next to the set.

Doug, did you ever find anything about the handset and hookswitch? I think I would be interested in both!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Christian...I have an E1, but its a  I35 and I have to test it, try looking for a closer date,,,give it some time. I hold on to it for you. I am looking for the lift as the one I have is perfect and will keep it if you are going to power coat. I just got home from work, but I'll look for you in the next few days....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 03, 2015, 07:53:20 PM
Christian...I have an E1, but its a  I35 and I have to test it, try looking for a closer date,,,give it some time. I hold on to it for you. I am looking for the lift as the one I have is perfect and will keep it if you are going to power coat. I just got home from work, but I'll look for you in the next few days....Doug
Thanks, Doug! ;)

I have noticed a lot of E1s from 1936, so I'll look harder for a '36.
Christian Petterson

Greg G.

To be clear, my interest in reproducing any markings on phones is to only repair those markings that were there originally, but were accidentally destroyed in the restoration process, which I have done with one phone.  I do understand the danger of unscrupulous persons using marking replacement techniques to produce frauds, but I would think that there is enough expertise in the phone collecting community to be able to spot fake markings.  Also, anyone attempting such a fraud would have to go to such great lengths to produce a fake that would potentially fetch a high price that it just wouldn't be worth the effort. 

When I first inquired with local merchants that made custom-made stamps, I got sticker shock.  They wanted me to bring in the art work for the stamp, and in turn they would charge an amount way out of line with the value of the phone.  The only place I found that would make a custom stamp for a reasonable price was a local office supply store (I think it was Office Depot or Office Max). 

The markings I reproduced were the "LOUD" and "5302 G" on the bottom of a 5302.  It's also the same phone that the manufacture date stamp was damaged (but still visible).  The stamp I had custom made didn't really match the same style as the original.  The phone is still in my collection, and if I ever sold it, I would certainly disclose everything that's been done to it.   As such, I don't think it would fetch much, plus I don't really like selling phones I spent a lot of time and effort restoring.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

How would use guys feel about a label inside with 2-3 sentences talking about what I have done to the phone to modify it? Anyone that comes across in in the future will know what was done to it, while it would make a great display piece with D-series markings and a Field Trial label in it.
Christian Petterson

paul-f

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 05, 2015, 11:13:24 AM
How would use guys feel about a label inside with 2-3 sentences talking about what I have done to the phone to modify it? Anyone that comes across in in the future will know what was done to it, while it would make a great display piece with D-series markings and a Field Trial label in it.

Putting a label inside certainly makes sense.

Unless the parts you use look exactly like the original, what's to be gained by putting a D- marking on the set?

Also, since the markings on the originals were inside, it won't help your display much unless you show it with the housing removed.

http://www.paul-f.com/wep302.html#D97464b
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: paul-f on February 05, 2015, 01:01:31 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 05, 2015, 11:13:24 AM

Also, since the markings on the originals were inside, it won't help your display much unless you show it with the housing removed.

http://www.paul-f.com/wep302.html#D97464b
That's exactly to what I was planning on doing. When relatives come over for parties, they can see my museum and I can open it up for them to see. I want to try to make this as close to an original D-series 302 as possible, and that includes markings. The paper note inside would be designed so that the set wouldn't cross the line between display-worthy replica and visual ripoff.
Christian Petterson

paul-f

You missed the more important sentence in my previous post:

"Unless the parts you use look exactly like the original, what's to be gained by putting a D- marking on the set?"

IMHO, having a D-marking on an otherwise production baseplate that looks nothing like a real D-97464 base (different parts and hole patterns, etc.) is not useful. 

You asked for opinions and, as it's your set, are not bound to listen to any of us when finalizing your restoration plans.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Christian....metal hookswitch cover with hookswitch and a 3/39 base only...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

Chewbaca6900

I found an antique N-2315 unit in my grandpas stuff when he passed. He had this since 44 and never used it so now I possess a beautiful piece of history and am putting it up for sale here first then on Craig's list if interested text my cell 847-371-1500