Find of the Month - February 2015

Started by AE_Collector, January 27, 2015, 12:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - February 2015    *Vote for Two*

andre_janew's 1954 WE 500 for $6.96 plus $12.72 in shipping on eBay
4 (14.3%)
wfs1933's 9/1940 metal shell 410 for $53 and $14 shipping on eBay
3 (10.7%)
Fabius' Illinois Commercial Telephone Company 25 years service pin for a total price of $20.40 on eBay
6 (21.4%)
c64man's WE Fortress payphone from a friend's basement for $150.00 with a local pickup
3 (10.7%)
Autonut's 1961 Northern Electric 500 E/F Party Line Phone for $6.50 CDN  ($5.22 USD) with a local pickup
6 (21.4%)
Kenton K's 1961 "painted blue" white 1961 WE mushroom for $200 plus $18.00? shipping on eBay
4 (14.3%)
compubit's 1974 gutted WE Design Line Accent Lemon Yellow "Demonstrator/Display" model for "free" plus $13.25 shipping on eBay
7 (25%)
NorthernElectric's  Northern Electric D1 with an E1 handset and 5H dial for $65.00 CDN ($52.00 USD) plus $25-30 CDN in gas found in a local classified ad
5 (17.9%)
wds' black AE34B Monophone for $30 plus $12 shipping on Etsy
11 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" for February 2015 here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) at least one picture of the item.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) where and/or how it was found.
4) the forum link if discussed in another topic on CRPF.
5) the eBay link if won there.
6) and other information of importance about the find.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on PhotoBucket. Thanks John.

To check them out, click --> HERE <--

Terry

andre_janew

I would like to nominate my 1954 WE 500.  I found it while browsing on eBay.  It cost me $6.96 plus $12.72 in shipping.  It came with a 1972 handset and cord which I replaced with the proper handset and cord.  The handset and cord cost me $9.99 and the shipping was free.

Link for phone:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331450131295

Link for handset:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281570742887

In case you are wondering, I'm trying to nominate the phone and the handset as an ensemble.  Together, the cost would be $16.95 and shipping would still be $12.72.

More on this phone at:

www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13525.15

wfs1933

I bid on this at eBay not knowing it has a METAL shell from 9/1940
I've never seen a metal shell 410 so i was very pleased, as you can see its in very good shape very smooth #5 dial
all i did was print a new dial card center and wipe it down (i did polish the hadset a bit and its smooth and shiny now)
was $53 and $14 shipping from EBay.

h ttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940-039-s-Western-Electric-410-Rotary-Phone-W-2-Line-Button-/221669982248?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=NjPCjkkfLf%252BHTBLUjoIWmCWL8q8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940-039-s-Western-Electric-410-Rotary-Phone-W-2-Line-Button-/221669982248

Fabius

Illinois Commercial Telephone Company 25 years service pin. Hallmarked W&H CO (WHITEHEAD & HOAG COMPANY). First one of these I've seen. Bought on eBay for a total price of $20.40

http://tinyurl.com/mxl97wr

The Illinois Commercial Telephone Company was formed in 1927  when the Illinois Southern Telephone Co was bought out. On April 16, 1952, the name of the company was changed to General Telephone Co. of Illinois to more closely associate the operating company with General Telephone System. This information is from the Marion Illinois History Preservation website:

http://tinyurl.com/lrfe35y

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

This reply is to nominate the payphone and booth recently acquired by c64man and first posted in the February Find of the Month topic. Since this phone is taking on a life of its own, it and the 2 replies to the initial post were split out and merged with a parallel topic about this phone at Fortress Pay Phone for TimmyNet.

With that done to allow future discussion posts and photos about this phone as it is brought back to life and put into service by c64man can take place in the pay phones topic. This post will nominate his "find" for February 2015 with his original nomination text:

"Found this WE Fortress for Timmy,  A friend had it in his basement.  Wife said it had to go.  So here it is  Paid 150 bucks for it.  Drove 1.5 miles to get it  :) "

My find this month is a 1961 Northern Electric 500 E/F Party Line Phone with a plunger that can be pulled up and pushed down to make calls. I found an ad for an Avocado Green rotary desk phone on the local on-line for sale site. I called and he said that he couldn't find the green phone, but he had others. I went to check out what he had. This find was in with the other phones that I bought from him. There were 19 phones in total. So to average the price, it worked out to be $6.50 CDN or $5.22 USD. There was no cost for delivery as it was local.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13702.0

Doug Rose

Quote from: wfs1933 on February 05, 2015, 04:28:01 AM
I bid on this at eBay not knowing it has a METAL shell from 9/1940
I've never seen a metal shell 410 so i was very pleased, as you can see its in very good shape very smooth #5 dial
all i did was print a new dial card center and wipe it down (i did polish the hadset a bit and its smooth and shiny now)
was $53 and $14 shipping from EBay.

h ttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940-039-s-Western-Electric-410-Rotary-Phone-W-2-Line-Button-/221669982248?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=NjPCjkkfLf%252BHTBLUjoIWmCWL8q8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940-039-s-Western-Electric-410-Rotary-Phone-W-2-Line-Button-/221669982248
The Metal 410 from 9/40 is a wonderful find. I found a Metal 305 from 3/40 a few weeks ago. I didn't realize they made them 75 years ago....Nice find and Welcome to the Forum....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13545.msg142085#msg142085
Kidphone

andre_janew

Did you just post a picture of a manual 305 by mistake?  I didn't see a 410 with a dial!

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on February 15, 2015, 01:43:06 PM
Did you just post a picture of a manual 305 by mistake?  I didn't see a 410 with a dial!

It was posted earlier when it was nominated. Doug was comparing it  to a phone he acquired some time ago and was not nominating.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13558.msg142555#msg142555

TelePlay

Last week to nominate any finds you may have seen both found and posted on the forum this month, February.

Per Terry, to nominate a members phone, you will need to include:

1) at least one picture of the item.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) where and/or how it was found.
4) the forum link if discussed in another topic on CRPF.
5) the eBay link if won there.
6) and other information of importance about the find.

If you have already nominated one of your finds (or one of your finds have been nominated by some other member), but have found a better item, you can retract the first nomination and nominate the second, "better" find.

This month's poll will be set up at EOD on Saturday, February 28th.

WEBellSystemChristian

I'll nominate Ken's Kenton K's white 1961 WE mushroom for $200 plus $18.00? in shipping. He thinks he overpaid, but I don't think he did!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13751.msg143856#msg143856
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

Here's my find:
1974 WE Design Line Accent Lemon Yellow "Demonstrator/Display" model.

I bought on eBay as a working phone, but once received, I discovered it had no innards. The seller refunded my purchase price; I paid for the shipping ($13.25) and got to keep the shell. (The original purchase purpose was for a co-worked who wanted a yellow phone for a bedroom).

After discussions on the board, it appears to be a display or demonstrator model (with the original Bell System (311) 555-2368 number card also), as if it had the innards removed per the BSP for this model, there would be no modular connectors or Touch Tone pad, not would it have the internal base.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13692

After a little bit of cleaning and polishing, I have a nice display phone.

Attached is the eBay listing - though not sure why it says $44.95 - my purchase price was ~$26.

The pictures don't do the color (93-Lemon Yellow) justice. The cord needs a little more work, but is much cleaner than received (originally a yellowish-grey...).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

NorthernElectric

I didn't see any requirement in the rules for how long you have to be a member here or how many posts, so although I only joined a few days ago, I thought I'd nominate my latest find, a Northern Electric D1.  It sports an E1 handset and 5H dial.  I spotted it on an online classified ad site about 3 hours from home.  I made arrangements, then drove to the seller's place on February 19th.  I paid the seller's asking price of $65.00 CDN for it (~$52.00 US).  I guess the shipping cost was whatever I burned in gas, about $25-30 CDN, though I did combine the trip with stopping at a few antique shops.  It shows signs of an earlier 'refurb', having the dial stripped and a chip in the paint touched up poorly, but overall it's in pretty good shape.  In the short time I've been looking at these, I haven't seen too many with the E1 handset, so I couldn't resist.  I briefly mentioned this phone in my intro post here.
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

That's a very nice D1, Cliff! The bare brass fingerwheel looks really nice on it!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

NorthernElectric

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 24, 2015, 10:58:42 PM
The bare brass fingerwheel looks really nice on it!
I like that look too.  If I can get the few spots of verdigris off without ruining the light patina on it or making shiny spots, I will probably leave it that way instead of repainting it.  I will try cleaning the spots with hydrogen peroxide.
Cliff