News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this? -- Kellogg 931 Masterphone

Started by KWD, November 07, 2016, 10:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWD

I don't know if I overpaid for this, but I had to have it. I'm not really familiar with Kellogg phones and I haven't been able to find any info on it. It looks like a 925 "ashtray" but it's stamped "931". I noticed it has two holes in back rather than the one that seems to be normal on 925s. Also, I have only ever seen two other RCA dial blanks--one on an old S-C that's in the David Sarnoff museum and one on a Kellogg Redbar in the archives here.

This phone actually hits me at the intersection of two interests. In addition to phones, I collect vintage (1935-50) radio broadcast equipment, mostly RCA. It was listed with a BIN of $150. I offered $100 and got it. The seller says there are no cracks or chips, which seems to be unusual for ashtrays. It's worth $100 to me but is it worth that objectively? Thanks.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
               - Nietsche
Nietsche is dead.
               - Roger McCarthy

Nick in Manitou

I can't offer you any information about what it is...other than it is great looking with that RCA dial blank!

Nick

TelePlay

A quick search of the TCI library turned up a 930, nothing on the 931 variant.

Page 55-56 of the document

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/strombergcarlson/kellogg/PDF/1941_CAT_100_GENERAL.pdf

KWD

- Nietsche
Nietsche is dead.
               - Roger McCarthy

Doug Rose

I think it is well worth the $100 you paid for it. Stress to the seller to pack it properly with the handset away from the phone, not in the cradle and wrapped in bubble. Plenty of newspaper so the phone does not move it box. It is a beauty.

Here is a link of a 930 Clr that I recently picked up...Welcome to the Forum.....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16772.msg173309#msg173309
Kidphone

Pourme

Nice looking phone. I saw that on EBAY as well, and wondered about the RCA dial blank. There has to be a story there some where.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

KWD

I suspect there is a story. RCA was the leader in broadcast equipment by quite a lot. In the 30s and 40s, they often outfitted new stations with virtually everything necessary to get up and running. Even some of the stuff that was made by other companies (e.g. General Radio Corp.) was often re-branded as RCA. My guess is that they put together a complete package for some station and threw in the phone as sort of the "cherry on top". The RCA "bug" was a real symbol of pride and is still considered a mark of the highest quality.

As I mentioned above, I also collect RCA radio broadcast equipment and in fact I have assembled pretty much everything necessary to equip a small local AM station, circa 1940-50, even including a 1,750 lb transmitter, My intent when I retire in a couple of years is to set up a vintage broadcast control room/studio. This phone will be a perfect finishing touch.

Doug: If I am not mistaken, it was you who had the metal Kellogg Red Bar with the RCA dial blank that I spotted in the archives here, no? Do you have any more info?
               - Nietsche
Nietsche is dead.
               - Roger McCarthy

Doug Rose

I still have it. One of my favorite phones Metal base had horrible paint and I stripped it of. Metal polished up to a chrome like finish, so I left it.....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4574.msg58505#msg58505
Kidphone

Pourme

Two very nice phones there!....KWD, I'm pleased you got that phone because it fits in well with your plans!...Good for you!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

KWD

The RCA/Kellogg ashtray showed up in today's mail and it's in great condition. It needs a bit of a polish but there are no chips or cracks at all. A very cool piece!
               - Nietsche
Nietsche is dead.
               - Roger McCarthy