News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tonyrotary's Phones

Started by Tonyrotary, March 26, 2009, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

So Tony, last I remember you folks were going to wait until you got back to the mainland to get your AE 40?  Either way, what kind of phone will you be looking for?  Standard black or bronze or chrome trimmings? 

The dials on the standard blacks come in chrome or bronze.  I haven't bought an AE 40 with the metal handset bands, but I did find a set of chrome caps, so I'll be switching them with the regular caps on a chrome dial model to make a full chrome trim phone.

I guess my favorites AE 40s (in black) are, in order; full bronze trim, full chrome trim, and not to be knocked, good ol' basic black. :)

McHeath

That's a nice little collection you've got there, really like that 554 in white.  Is that 500 a Northern Electric model?

Tonyrotary

Hobie,
When I get back from this deployment I will be looking at AE40's. We live in Hawaii. I like the black with chrome trimmings. But the wife saw the painted one on oldphoneworks. She likes the white one with chrome bands on the handset. I have to admit it does look good but you already know your gonna pay a high price for it. Maybe I can talk her into the black models and then find a nice one on Ebay and clean it up.

McHeath,
Yes that is a Northern Electric 500? How did you tell? I think it needs a bit more polishing but overall not bad shape. I love that the cord is in good shape.
The 554 was my first rotary and I love it. The cord is getting a bit stretched though. I think I will try that method I found on this forum of recoiling it.

HobieSport

Yeah, Heath, how did you know that Tony's 500 was a Northern Electric and not a Western Electric?  I thought they were indistinguishable except for the name molded in under the handset.  Do you have phone E.S.P. or something?  What's your grizzly secret?

Tony; The white AE 40s with chrome bands are indeed an elegant looking animal.  The whites at Old Phone Works are painted over black originals of course. They like to call their painted phones "refinished"; a euphemism in my opinion.  $300. is indeed a lot of money for a single painted phone, but hey, all is fair in love and phones. ;)

Tonyrotary

Actually I know now how Heath knows. The dial card says northern electric on it....lol. Good attention to detail.

Hobie, I just love the way that AE40 looks. I agree refinished almost implies refinishing in the same color but guess it depends. My concern with a painted phone is that especially with it being black underneath, as the paints wears well you know. And $300 is quite a bit for ONE phone. Still you only live once. I did save up money from this deployment.

HobieSport

Quote from: Tonyrotary
My concern with a painted phone is that especially with it being black underneath, as the paints wears...

I imagine that Old Phone Works uses a high quality paint, or coating, or whatever it is.  It might be epoxy.  If you're concerned about the long term durability, you can always phone or email them and ask.  They are very good and helpful with any questions or concerns. :)