and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got a WE 500

Started by mienaichizu, May 09, 2010, 12:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

I finally got a Western Electric model 500 Signal Corps Telephone

its all matching date 10/61 with Bakelite handset

http://mienaichizu.multiply.com/photos/album/225/US_Army_Signal_Corps_Telephone_Western_Electric_Model_500

Jim Stettler

That is a nice looking phone.

It looks like it may have rose beige letters/#'s on the dial bezel vs white.

I have a round button key set with the same dial bezel.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

could 2-56 bezel  have rose beige lettering. because I have been trying to polish it but the color won't come out
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

foots

That's a really nice one. I too have a Signal Corps 500 but it's not numbers matching.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on May 09, 2010, 02:29:38 PM
could 2-56 bezel  have rose beige lettering. because I have been trying to polish it but the color won't come out

Kenny,

It could be. On my set I assumed it was discoloration, however the rest of the set is fine and the coloring seems uniform and rose beige. I beleive it is rose beige. By seeing this signal corp bezel, I feel that both are probably rose beige. If you think yours is, It wouldn't surprise me if it was.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

McHeath

Nice phone.  Welcome to the WE 500 club!  I have a signal corp phone as well, dated from 1960, but it was redone at some point and has a number 9 dial and plastic caps on the bakelite handset.  Yours is nicer than mine.

mienaichizu

thanks everyone! this is my first WE black 500

now I need to look for a black 302 to complete my Dreyfuss design collection

savageje

You learn something here everyday.  I didn't know there were dial bezels with rose beige lettering instead of white.  Something to look out for in the future.  It is a pretty nifty-looking color combination.  You have a nice-looking phone there.

JS

Jim Stettler

Quote from: mienaichizu on May 09, 2010, 10:33:01 PM
thanks everyone! this is my first WE black 500

now I need to look for a black 302 to complete my Dreyfuss design collection

Would you say that the #'s/letters are rose-beige or white on this set?
Jim
You live, You learn,

JorgeAmely

I would say "faded white" that looks like Rose Beige.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

It's probably more of an off-white as opposed to rose beige.  By looking at the back of the dial bezel, you should be able to see the native color of the letters on the back of the black plate.
-Bill G

mienaichizu

check the back of the dial bezel and it looks more like ivory rather than rose beige

Dan/Panther

My 54-Signal Corp. 500 is in really nice condition and the lettering appears to still be white.
Can you guys tell me what the plungers are made from, mine are clear.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 10, 2010, 09:17:29 PM
It's probably more of an off-white as opposed to rose beige.  By looking at the back of the dial bezel, you should be able to see the native color of the letters on the back of the black plate.

I disagree, I would say it's eggshell (just kidding).

Now that you mention it, the two AE 80s I'm working on/frustrated with have different "colors".  One of them has the "rose beige" numbers, but a white back on the bezel.  I've buffed the bezel with brasso, so it would probably take a good sanding to get them back to white.  The other is white numbers with white back.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 12, 2010, 12:44:57 PM
My 54-Signal Corp. 500 is in really nice condition and the lettering appears to still be white.
Can you guys tell me what the plungers are made from, mine are clear.

D/P

Where does it say Signal Corps on these phones?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e