News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help in identification

Started by Philco Dave, December 06, 2009, 07:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philco Dave

I recently acquired a vintage French(?) telephone. Can anyone ID the make and model. I also need information as to the restoration of the unit. Will it work on the standard American phone system? I do not know how to paste a pix onto my message. Any help out there?

Dennis Markham

Dave, welcome to the forum.  To post a photo after you click on the "Reply" button you will see below the text box  "Additional Options........."  Click that.

A box will drop down.  Click the "Browse" button and upload your photo.  Someone here should be able to help.

~Dennis

gpo706

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Philco Dave

Can anyone ID this phone:

Phonesrfun

Dave:

To me it looks like an original European phone, but I may be wrong.  So many imitations of that general style were made as stylish, but modernized knock-offs.

The reasons it looks original to me are the fabric cords, and what looks to be a metal base, and the dial does not look like a knock-off either.

Perhaps d_s_k can chime in and offer his opinion.  One thing that would point out its originality, or lack thereof is to take the cover off and look under the hood.

The best way to tell if it works or not is to hook it up.  If the four-pronged plug is a problem, you can easily work around that issue.  Let us know.
-Bill G

dsk

I am quite sure it is not Norwegian. Some quite similar has been used in hotels without dial in the 20-30ies. The handset looks familiar, and it should be some text on the metal cap where the "funnel" is mounted.

Some pictures from whats inside may give a clue.
This dial has not been used in Scandinavian, could have been put there later.

So far, my guess is Danish origin, but it is only a guess.

dsk

bingster

That appears to be an original KTAS (Copenhagen Telephone Co.) D-08 telephone.  They were reproduced by the millions, but this one has a button cover on the front right corner, as well as the meter on the right and screws in the handset handle.  I've never seen a repro with all those things.  The dial is Siemens, by the way.  You can see another one in my post over here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=828.msg9957#msg9957

By the way, that thread has been quiet for a while.  For the newer members who may not have done so... make a post to that thread and let's see your phones!
= DARRIN =