News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Not sure if you've ever seen a modified Western Eletric like this. . .

Started by tommycam, March 07, 2020, 12:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommycam

Hello All,

I bought this weird phone but cannot get it to work.  It looks like a project phone that somebody put a lot of time into.

When I get phone with the cord coming out of the back, I usually get surface jack and put the red wire with red and the green and yellow into the green slot. That always produces a dial tone. It didn't work this time. I get a noise/hum but no dial tone.

Now the only thing I see different is the blue wire (instead of the black wire). Could that be the issue?  The last attached photo will show the wire in question.

Thank you!!

phonium

I saw something like that on shopgoodwill recently, is that where you got it?
George Amores
ATCA#4857

TelePlay

Looks like a WE TeleConcept phone, a variation of the Satellite or Century, or a home built repro/look alike. Paul should know.

http://www.paul-f.com/Teleconcepts.html#Satelite

or

http://www.paul-f.com/Teleconcepts.html#Century

paul-f

Quote from: TelePlay on March 07, 2020, 03:23:49 PM
Looks like a WE TeleConcept phone, a variation of the Satellite or Century, or a home built repro/look alike. Paul should know.

The switchhook, dial mounting and handset mod don't look like Teleconcepts sets. Higher resolution photos would be interesting.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

tommycam

Thank you all for the help.

I just walked in. I'll try to get better photos soon.

Tom

tommycam

Babybearjs

if I had gotten that phone, I would have torn it all the way down and started over with the wiring.... I would add some terminal strips to replace what looks like Coat Hook wire... and add new wiring... whatever the original owner was thinking.... they didn't know anything about telephones... and if they did, they were making it up as they went... very interesting find! keep the original idea, just bring the wiring up to the 21st century! it can be made to work.... just needs some TLC!
John

tommycam

John,
Thank you for info.

So the wiring on the inside wrong? What should be changed?

andre_janew

I'd use a wiring diagram for a Western Electric 500 with a 425E network to figure out what needs to be changed.  I think it would be based on this model of phone.

paul-f

Quote from: tommycam on March 08, 2020, 12:28:17 PM
John,
So the wiring on the inside wrong? What should be changed?

As long as the phone works, I'd leave the wiring as the "designer" created it. It's part of the beauty of the design that was intended to be visible.

However, it's yours now.  ;)

Thanks for the additional photos. Can you post one that captures the other end of the switchhook lever, showing the switch contacts?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

tommycam

Hey Paul,

If I got a dial tone and it worked, all I would do is clean it. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

There's another issue with opening it. The screws on the back caused damaged to the case. I didn't want to risk it.

I'll add more photos, including the damage where the screws are soon.

Thank you!

tommycam

Hello All,

Good news. I got the phone working.

I studied the scheme and realized the wires in the cord coming out of the case was wrong. It ends up the green wire is suppose to go in the red slot in the surface box.  The red and yellow went into the green slot. The dial tone and ringer worked.

Have great day everybody and THANK YOU!
Tom