News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 Desk Phone Won't Stop Ringing

Started by gands-antiques, March 28, 2020, 10:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

sounds like you may have a frequency ringer there...
can you post a pic of it?

dsk

The ringer may probably be labeled what is the text?
Here you have an example:

gands-antiques

Attached are some pictures of the ringer

RB

Yeah, unless I am mistaken...and it has happened.
That's a frequency ringer, and will not work with normal pots lines.
You will need to replace it with a straight line ringer.
That shud fix your problem.

dsk

With a  0.3 Uf capacitor it is probably made for 25Hz, so to get it ringing at 20 Hz it may be some kind of ringing by moving the striker closer to the magnet, and maybe increase the capacitor to e.g. 1 uF.  Still not right, but probably some kind of working.  (you may tune the striker to optimal sound)

dsk

gands-antiques

Is the ringer on the left any better?   It came as a spare with the phone

I haven't tried the one on the left yet

gands-antiques

dsk

The other one are probably the ringer you want. .4 capacitor was std on SL ringers.

If you want to try the 1uF capacitor you pit it in as a replacement for the 0.3 uF capacitor.

dsk

gands-antiques

I hooked up the other one and it didn't ring. The saga continues.   

gands-antiques

I took my spare (straight line) ringer apart and cleaned the contacts. It is working now loud and clear but not with the 4 ringer wire connected to the phone terminals. If I connect the black and white ringer wires to the phone L1 and L2 terminals, it works and it stops ringing when the handset is lifted

The ringer is working without the red and green ringer wires connected to anything.

Is it okay to operate the phone/ringer without the red and green ringer wires connected to anything?

Thanks,
Gary

rdelius

I thought that AE ringers used r,g to  the coils and bk, w went to the capacator.  All are needed.

gands-antiques

You're right.  I took another look at the setup and all 4 ringer wires are connected per TCI wiring diagram and it didn't work so I added 2 jumpers...one from ringer black to L2 and one from ringer white to L1 and now it works.

Is it okay to operate the phone with the two jumpers?

Gary