News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Improving transmitter volume

Started by DARK FATHER, October 09, 2010, 06:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG

I differ slightly about rapping the transmitter on the table.  IMHO that can cause subtle damage if done with excessive force.   If you're going to do something like that, do it gently:  use a larger number of gentle taps, rather than a smaller number of stronger taps.   If you tap the transmitter on its edge, rotate it a quarter turn every few taps, so you don't just end up packing all the carbon in a different position.

Once you've got the carbon granules loosened up, you can keep them that way by occasionally shaking the receiver before or during a conversation.  If you do it while talking with someone, it will send a "sssh-ssh-sssh!" sound to the person you're speaking with. 

If a transmitter makes a squealing frying sound, it is likely that the line voltage and current are too high for it, and you need to fix that ASAP because the transmitter will fry under those conditions (the carbon granules will get burned) and the problem will become permanent.  The fix is a resistor in series and/or in parallel with the transmitter, to drop the DC current flow through the transmitter to 20 - 40 milliamps and in no case higher than 60 milliamps.  (Yes you should have a volt-ohm meter (VOM) on your desk, ideally with an analog meter, for making tests while repairing telephones.)

If you can't make the squealing/frying sound go away, the carbon in the transmitter is fried.  Keep it as a spare anyway; some day it may be possible to replace the fried carbon granules in it. 

Do Not replace fried carbon granules with gunpowder, just because they look alike.  Otherwise when you hook it up it will go Bang! and might hurt you:-)

markosjal

Ok you harcore WE guys do not beat me up here but an AE "G" type equivalent handset transmitter fits nicely in the WE "F" handset and only requires slight bending of contacts to work. To be extra sure you can put a piece of shrink tube over the center contact as far as you can from the screw to contact, or even just a piece of electrical tape.  My 202 with F handset sounds better than ever with the AE Mic. No WE mic compares. I use asterisk so it is easy for me to compare levels.

AE Transmitters are more reliable as AE_Collector once pointed out and I agree with that. Also My AE mic I used came in the same styleline I ripped the mini network out of.

I think however the Electret mic with converter offer the best sound , go to this thread http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15950.msg165205#msg165205
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

I have at least one WE F handset with an AE element in it which was put there for exactly that reason.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 09, 2010, 08:14:21 PMIf you connected the red and green that were coming out of the desk set to the line directly, with no network or subset in the middle, then you were connecting the receiver element directly across the line with nothing to connect the transmitter or match the line to the telephone set internal impedance.  (A fancy word meaning it won't really work.)

The network is a circuit that is smaller and electrically equivalent for doing the same things as the older subsets.  They do several things, but the most important is that they make the phone actually work.
Not to mention they protect the receiver capsule from demagnetizing, and protect the dial contacts from getting welded together!

Mike