News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought a risky Panasonic KX-T30810BE...

Started by twocvbloke, January 15, 2015, 12:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Funny thing is, the way google's search algorithms work, searching for "TEL0170" keeps coming up with various UK telephone numbers... ;D

TelePlay

Even funnier, or stranger, is that if I do a google search for "battery TEL0170" I get hits to the Interstate web sit but the battery shown is not the one in pictures above. If I go to the main Interstate Battery page and use their search fro TEL0171, a different 270 mAh battery comes up that won't work. Only by clicking on the link I provided in Reply #14 above does the 308/616 replacement battery come up.

And, yes, I got a lot of phone numbers with or without "battery" in the search terms.

unbeldi

I seem to remember that I bought a replacement battery for less than USD$10 somewhere.

PS: here is the original Panasonic battery part:  P-01H-F2G1  and picture
Searching for that got me plenty of replacements, IIRC.

DavePEI

Here is another which will work perfectly well. It is a bit higher in Ma/hr, but it is far cheaper at 2 for $4.00

http://tinyurl.com/petw5p4

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Fabius

Quote from: DavePEI on January 22, 2015, 09:13:50 AM
Here is another which will work perfectly well. It is a bit higher in Ma/hr, but it is far cheaper at 2 for $4.00

Dave

Dave, Have you used this battery in a 308/616? Before ordering I'd like to make sure the connector would fit and that the battery size would fit. The seller says these have been in storage for over 5 years. What's the self life of NiCads? Thanks.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Dave

I think this has a different connector. All the batteries that I have had for cordless phones and the like, have a distinctly different connector than the PBX.
Surely any ~2.5 Volt battery will work, but for something so cheap, I usually don't feel like spending effort to replace the connector on the other end as well.

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on January 22, 2015, 10:06:00 AM

Dave

Dave, Have you used this battery in a 308/616? Before ordering I'd like to make sure the connector would fit and that the battery size would fit. The seller says these have been in storage for over 5 years. What's the self life of NiCads? Thanks.

Given that these PBX units are at least 25 years old, and I still have the original Panasonic battery in at least two of mine—well, that's an assumption, I can't be sure about that, there is no date on them—I wouldn't be terribly concerned about shelf life when it's been only 5 years.

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on January 22, 2015, 10:25:58 AM

Dave

Given that these PBX units are at least 25 years old, and I still have the original Panasonic battery in at least two of mine—well, that's an assumption, I can't be sure about that, there is no date on them—I wouldn't be terribly concerned about shelf life when it's been only 5 years.
I have if not the same, a very similar one in my 616. It sticks out of the battery hole a bit, but lots of room for the lid to close.... As per the age of them, he does say they have been kept in proper storage - its a pretty cheap gamble. It does look to be the same connector - many Panasonics use this connector (if not, just cut the wires on this close to the connector and the old one close to the battery and splice the remaining leads to the old connector..

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I've often found stored NiCads to be one heck of a gamble, some I've had that worked fine initially, then just completely die on me, others they work but have reduced capacity, and the rest were only fit for the bin...

It's why I'm considering buying new cells and soldering my own together, that way I know it'll be brand new... :)

unbeldi

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 22, 2015, 10:51:28 AM
I've often found stored NiCads to be one heck of a gamble, some I've had that worked fine initially, then just completely die on me, others they work but have reduced capacity, and the rest were only fit for the bin...

It's why I'm considering buying new cells and soldering my own together, that way I know it'll be brand new... :)

I know I have been disappointed with some cheap nickel-cadmium batteries myself, but also have to say that in some cases I wanted them as replacements for alkaline AA batteries.  This is generally not a good idea, because NiCads only deliver 1.2V per cell, rather than the 1.5V of a fresh Alkaline cell. So it depends on the application requirements.  However, if 1.2 Volts are enough (or 2.4 for a dual-cell battery) they provide a steady voltage to almost the point of exhaustion, while alkaline batteries suffer constant decay of potential.

Some sources recommend discharging nickel-cadmium batteries completely for storage, even shorting their terminals after careful discharge.  I am not clear about the reason, but perhaps it has to do with the so-called memory effect of NiCads.

TelePlay

Dave

This one looks like an In Stock US based exact replacement.

In Stock 2.4 V 110 mAh battery for $13.82 with free shipping.

The one Dave posted is too large for the 616 battery well and the connector is a wireless phone style. Any 2.4 V NiCad would work if you are willing to solder it in and place it below the battery well. I was providing a source to one that is an exact replacement. I bought one of those larger batteries at a local store for about $12 and took it back when I realized it was too large. I think any battery over 110 mAh will be too large for the well into which it is supposed to fit and you may have to clip both connectors off and hard wire it in, if you want to be a purist about the battery.

Prices seem to have gone up a dollar since I bought mine. What you get all depends on what you want, or want to do.

TelePlay

Here's another what seems to be a US In Stock source.

$10.99 plus $4.99 shipping.

PANASONIC KXA16 Battery

Item specs say "Replaces PANASONIC KXA16 Cordless Phone Battery - Ni-CD 2.4 V 110 mAh.1-1/3AA/E CONNECTOR. Guaranteed to meet or exceed OEM specifications. 1 Year Warranty."

Seems the original battery was a KXA16; I've seen that number on other sites as well.

xzzx-616/308 battery replacements-xzzx

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on January 22, 2015, 06:55:11 PM

Seems the original battery was a KXA16; I've seen that number on other sites as well.

xzzx-616/308 battery replacements-xzzx

??

The original battery was a P-01H-F2G1  It even says so on the laminate battery compartment closures.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on January 22, 2015, 07:07:41 PM
The original battery was a P-01H-F2G1  It even says so on the laminate battery compartment closures.

Yes, that is correct.

It seems this battery must have been used more recently in a cordless phone and that battery was given the name/number/keyword of KXA16. Imagine they went to a larger battery after finding out the life of a 110 mAh battery in a cordless phone was not very good.

twocvbloke

Quote from: unbeldi on January 22, 2015, 07:07:41 PMIt even says so on the laminate battery compartment closures.

Neither my 616 or 308 have that piece over the battery compartment, makes them seem "incomplete" now...  ;D