News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French ‘Teprina’ Candlestick

Started by FABphones, October 06, 2021, 03:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This unusual French candlestick marked 'Teprina, Paris' recently sold on the auction website.

There is some damage to the unusually placed transmitter, and a listening earpiece instead of a receiver/handset. There were no additional photos of the rear of listener to match up the marque and I could find no further design information. It doesn't look 100% correct to me and without documentation to confirm either way, I did not bid.

It received 16 bids and sold for €110 (just over $127).

Screenshots below.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

This relatively recent thread in the German forum suggests that Teprina (Téléphonie Privée Nationale) had connections to Harry Fuld's operations in Germany (the later T&N).
The design with a knob on the top of the stick resembles of Fuld's interpretations of the candlestick. Candlesticks never caught on in Germany, but Fuld made some. Google "Fuld Hochständer". They normally had handsets and a cylindrical base so it is not this phone. Looks very unusual, but not like like a frankenphone either.

tubaman

Interesting indeed.
I can't see any obvious 'Frankenphone' signs but it is odd that the receiver is at the back rather than to one side when the transmitter is facing you - hardly makes for the easiest use?
The base shape is very like that used by Western Electric.

Etienne

First time I see this. The earpiece looks very odd on it, it is the PTT 1924 design. On those metal earpieces, the make is usually written on the sides, but I can see nothing on the pictures, it does not seem to come from a PTT model. Possibly there should be a handset, which could explain why the hook is so high? To my (limited) knowledge, "candlesticks" as understood in Anglo-saxon countries quite never existed in France after around 1900, only a very early and limited edition of the PTT 1924, which would not be supplied to customers but to exchanges (?).
As for the date, the plaque with Teprina's number (DANton 87-41) means it was produced after Paris' automation in 1927/28.

FABphones

Bienvenue Étienne.
Vous êtes en France?
nous avons des membres dans de nombreux pays.

You can say hello to our family of CRPF members here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=49.0

We look forward to seeing your collection!

:)

—————————-

Quote from: Etienne on October 31, 2021, 06:48:13 PM
...it is the PTT 1924 design. On those metal earpieces, the make is usually written on the sides, but I can see nothing on the pictures, it does not seem to come from a PTT model. Possibly there should be a handset, which could explain why the hook is so high? To my (limited) knowledge, "candlesticks" as understood in Anglo-saxon countries quite never existed in France after around 1900, only a very early and limited edition of the PTT 1924, which would not be supplied to customers but to exchanges (?)...

I have seen this (slightly heavier, chunkier) style on Téléphones à Colonne, but many times are later additions.

The hookswitch does look more suited for a handset. The earpiece (écouteur) appears to the later style, the manufacturer name on these is also sometimes (but not always) written on the back. My thoughts are that this is not original to the phone.

More Colonne Téléphone images here...
http://alain.levasseur.pagesperso-orange.fr/

...but no direct match.

I agree with Tubaman, the base looks very much in the style of WE.

It sold for a good price.

< edited to add écouteur images showing various manufacturer name placements >
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Etienne

Hello, and sorry for the very late reply.
Yes, I am in France, and will present myself in the appropriate section.
To this candlestick, if I am not mistaken, those were produced in France as the Modèle 1918, which was the CB, urban counterpart of the Marty 1910. Gorgeous phones, really! I have a fragment of one such phone from AOIP- delightful. As very, very few places were automated back then (if I remember well, only parts of Marseille since 1913, Paris only after 1924), it was not foreseen to have a dial. it was then superseded by the PTT 1924, so its production time would range from 1918-20 to 1927.