News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Black 500 in Georgetown, Ky.

Started by Kevin Lane, April 23, 2011, 09:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Lane

Picked this up today at the Peddler's Mall in Georgetown, Ky for only $12.00  Some scratches and wear, but it will give me a chance to learn how to use Novus.  Don't know if it works, yet.  Have to wait till I get home and connect a modular plug.

Kevin Lane

rp2813

What are we looking at for dates on this one?  Later 60's at the oldest?
Ralph

Dennis Markham

Looks like a later 500.  The dial appears to be a #9.  You can tell that by the center of the dial, seen through the plastic finger wheel. Also the narrow finger stop opening.  The round feet are also a clue that it is later or refurbished.  Looks it might have a G3 handset.  Still, $12 isn't a bad price for a vintage, working telephone.  Especially considering you didn't have to pay shipping fees.

Kevin Lane

It reads "5/66" on the base, with two refurbish marks:  WNR 766 and WNR267 (those are refurbish date, right?)  It is a G3 handset.  The finger wheel was mounted incorrectly so that the holes did not line up with the correct numbers.  The little release hole was useless as it was about in the wrong place.  I thought I was going to have to break the fingerwheel, but I took a deep breath breath and tried to force it off.  Happily, it spun right off and it now in the correct position.

I will open it up when I get home tomorrow and make a note of more dates.

The cord is still coiled nicely but needs cleaning.  I'm sure that somewhere in this forum there are suggestions as to how to get cords looking nice and shiny again.

Kevin Lane

Greg G.

Quote from: Kevin Lane on April 23, 2011, 09:57:02 PM
Picked this up today at the Peddler's Mall in Georgetown, Ky for only $12.00  Some scratches and wear, but it will give me a chance to learn how to use Novus.  Don't know if it works, yet.  Have to wait till I get home and connect a modular plug.

Kevin Lane

Not a bad find.  Here's an instructional video for Novus: http://www.tapplastics.com/info/video_detail.php?vid=18&format=windowsmedia&
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

Quote from: Kevin Lane on April 23, 2011, 10:29:17 PM
The cord is still coiled nicely but needs cleaning.  I'm sure that somewhere in this forum there are suggestions as to how to get cords looking nice and shiny again.

Kevin, I use denatured alcohol on the cords, on a paper towel. It gets off grime and paint spots and all kinds of goo. I start in the middle of the coil cord and work my way to the end, pulling the cord through the paper towel, and then recoil it the way it was before I started. Then I do the other half. That way there's no question which way the coils go. It leaves the cords nice and shiny and not sticky at all.

Denatured alcohol also works on hard plastic housings to get off the same stuff--paint spots, sticker goo and dirt. I think by 1966 that they were using hard plastic on black phones, but test it on the inside of the housing first. Denatured alcohol will melt soft plastic, so it's good to be sure before you start.

Novus 2 is great for finishing up the phone, but sometimes with a hard plastic phone in good shape, all I need is the alcohol and it shines.

Some people soak them or use the dishwasher, but I still like getting my hands on it and using alcohol. I hope you have fun doing it. Post some pictures of your phone after you're through.
Jonathan

Kevin Lane

Thanks for the info on denatured alcohol.  I got some yesterday, but I would like to know if you cut it with water first or just used it full strength. 

I have been using Goo Gone for removing sticker/tape glue.  This phone had a lot of it on the handset. 

Message to non-collecting world:  please don't put stickers/tape on phones you want to sell!!

jsowers

Kevin, I use it straight from the can, on a paper towel. Full strength. It dries the hands a little and smells a little. I normally use it outdoors, so ventilation isn't a problem. Indoors, you might want to open a window. My phone workbench is the tailgate of my station wagon. It forces me to clean up my mess! :)
Jonathan

Kevin Lane

Ok, here is my first effort with Novus.  I mostly used #2, although I did try #3 on some of the deeper scratches.  Getting rid of the deeper scratches and gouges must me just a matter of how long you are willing to work at it, and I am not a very patient person.  But #2 is amazing at taking away surface scratches and haze.

Dan

it's fun rubbing them up, isn't it. I love sitting by the TV and especially shining them up during commercials.

Watch out, this could become addictive.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kevin Lane

Yes, I'm clearly getting hooked!  The next time you see this phone the cords will be shiny and it will have a new finger wheel.  Oh, and I got it ringing today.

GG

The same vibe also applies to folks who restore radios and other old-stuff: it has much to do with the idea that you can take something that might have been thrown out and was in pretty bad shape, and apply your own labor and skill to make it nearly-new and working again. 

Repairing rather than throwing away, turns the liability of nonworking stuff into the asset of a skill and an accomplishment.