News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO No. 2

Started by wds, October 11, 2011, 05:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I picked up a GPO candlestick, No. 2.  Seemed like a nice stick, but when it came it was missing the base cover.  Of course no mention of missing parts in the listing.  Someone had replaced it with a hand cut piece of tin.  Does anyone have a GPO cover they would like to part with?  Otherwise, seems like it's ok - cords a little rough, and an extra layer of paint that needs to come off.  Can't wait to take it apart and see what makes it go!
Dave

Russ Kirk

When I got my GPO #2 I also needed a few items.  I contacted some collectors in GB and one offered to sell me the parts.   When I get back home I will PM you with the contacts names and emails.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Stephen Furley

There are probably not too many of these around now, because many of  them were converted to model 150 by fitting a new base with provision for fitting a dial.  Not all 150s were conversions, my one was built new as that model.  Converted ones had the No. 2 marking on the side of the transmitter mount struck out, and No. 150 stamped in its place.  Are there any numbers stamped on the other side?  If so, one of them may indicate the date.

The transmitter is probably a later addition; the earlier ones were tulip shaped.  The later straight-sided type which you have was designed to take a Transmitter Inset No. 10, and can also take the very similar No. 13 which was used in the later Bakelite 'phones, and even the first 706 models, introduced in 1959.  These transmitters are still readily available if you need a new one.  The mouthpiece removes in the same way as on the Bakelite handsets; there's a small hole on the bottom of it, pressing a pin or paperclip into this hole enables the mouthpiece to be rotated anti-clockwise to release it from the bayonet locking mechanism.

There was originally no visible brass, the top of the column and the transmitter mount originally had a shiny black finish, I think it was a chemical blackening rather than paint, and traces of this can be seen on your one.  The body of the receiver originally had some sort of black or brown coating; I'm not sure exactly what it was.

Telephone Lines, http://www.telephonelines.net/ have some spares for GPO candlesticks; they may have a base if you cannot find one elsewhere.

wds

Top line is AK24, lower line is 235.  Which one is the date?  It has a No. 10 transmitter, and I don't have to push anything to remove the mouthpiece, so I'm guessing something is missing there also.  I was happy that it was a No. 2 that wasn't converted to a 150.  The receiver seems original, but maybe you can verify it for me. 
Dave

wds

I think I understand the codes now - AK24 means it was manufactured by Peel-Conner Telephone Works Ltd in 1924.  235 means it's a first modification, or Rev. 1, the original being 234.  Nice numbering system.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

The transmitter is a later modification.  The metal tab which is supposed to keep the cap from coming off may be bent a bit.  If the piece were entirely missing, there would be nothing to hold the cap.

Larry

Stephen Furley

The top line is usually the date, so this could well be 1924.  The AK could well be a makers code, but I don't recognise it.

Probably nothing missing or broken, when you press in to release the mouthpiece the part that you're pressing in on often remains slightly bent in, so when the mouthpiece is replaced it doesn't lock.  If you look at it you'll see what I mean.  It can be bent out slightly by hand, but unless the mouthpiece is very loose, so that it might fall off, it's probably more convenient to just leave it as it is.

The third picture on this page:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t150.htm

shows both the early and the later types on a No. 150, with the older style on the right.  I'm not sure when the later style was introduced.  If the transmitter on yours is not original then it was probably replaced a long time ago, the newer type was said to be a great improvement, and so the GPO probably upgraded instruments when they were refurbished.  My 1927 No. 150 has the later style, but I don't know if this is original or not.

You might want the original GPO n_diagram for the 'phone, though for this model there's not a great deal of information in it.  Generally, for telephones you add 100 to the model number to get the n_diagram number, so download n102.pdf from here:

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repository/n_index/index.php?dir=0000/

A No. 2 like that is a good find, even without the base.

Stephen Furley

Quote from: wds on October 11, 2011, 07:44:10 PM
I think I understand the codes now - AK24 means it was manufactured by Peel-Conner Telephone Works Ltd in 1924.  235 means it's a first modification, or Rev. 1, the original being 234.  Nice numbering system.

Yes, the mark numbers seem to be 234 or 235, even on different models; my No. 150 for example is stamped 234.  The N_diagram for the 150, N250,has the mark number printed on it, while N102 does not.  Why Peel-Connor should be AK I don't know.  Later model 16 and 21a transmitters were produced by various makers.  One of the most common was AP Besson, later Hosidon Besson, code DAE, so the codes were often not obvious.

wds

Your right about the transmitter tab being bent - I straightened it a little, and it catches much better.  Thanks for all the info on the candlestick - I feel much better about my purchase.  I'll contact those vendors and see if I can locate a base.  There is one on Ebay right now, so I might take a stab at that one also. 
Dave

wds

By the way, what is the difference between GPO and BPO? 
Dave

Stephen Furley

GPO = General Post Office, which later became simply the Post Office at some time, during the '60s I think.  BPO seems to mean British Post Office, and seems to be a term used overseas to distinguish it from their own post offices.  I don't think it was ever an official term, at least not in the UK.

I see that you've managed to remove the receiver cap on yours; mine has so far resisted all attempts to shift it so that I can repair the frayed cord.  In your picture there's no sign of the receiver diaphragm; do you have it, is it inside the cap, or is it missing?  If it is missing they are available; I think Oldphoneworks has them.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Stephen Furley on October 11, 2011, 07:13:03 PM
Not all 150s were conversions, my one was built new as that model.  Converted ones had the No. 2 marking on the side of the transmitter mount struck out, and No. 150 stamped in its place.  Are there any numbers stamped on the other side?  If so, one of them may indicate the date.

There was originally no visible brass, the top of the column and the transmitter mount originally had a shiny black finish, I think it was a chemical blackening rather than paint, and traces of this can be seen on your one.  The body of the receiver originally had some sort of black or brown coating; I'm not sure exactly what it was.

I thought it looked like mine but the No 2 didn't sound familiar. That's becasue mine is a No 150. The other side of the transmitter perch has what looks like 127 but might be "I" 27 with a line under all three letter/numbers and 234 below the line. Does that tell you anything Stephen?

There is an "E" stamped into the receiver hook and the cast iron base has P2391 stamped into it.

Mine appears to be steel but I had it repainted many years ago with a plastic based paint that couldn't keep up wit hexpansion and contraction so it is slowly reverting back to the original finish.

Terry

Stephen Furley

Column is steel tube, top of the base, if that makes sense, is pressed steel.  base is cast iron, other metal parts are blackened or painted brass.

Are you sure that's an 'E' on the receiver hook?  It's usually an 'F'; just indicates the type.

The number on the base is probably just the pattern number, stamped into the pattern from which the casting was made.  I can't remember if my 150 has it or not.

Wallphone

I thought that I had a document or website saved that explained how the British candlesticks were dated, but with my wonderful filing system I can't seem to find it. :(  Does anyone else have it? While looking for it I did find this nice site that I had never seen before. < http://tinyurl.com/4x7997j >
Doug Pav

wds

Here's the web site I've been using.  At the bottom of the page it explains the number and letters.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/manucode.htm
Dave