News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Very early Automatic Electric wood dial wall telephone

Started by Doug Rose, May 27, 2018, 07:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Did anyone watch this auction? Went for 1K. Great dial. What went where the two holes are?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253629545282?
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

My guess is a grounding button ,the early sets had one.
Just a guess,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

No, I missed that but bet someone who collects the early Strowger phones grabbed it! The "Mercedes Dial but with Four Spokes gets my attention. I've heard something about this version before. Right after the Sunburst Dial?  Just before tge type 23 Dial? A quick look at the AE Dial Identification topic and I can't find anything but I just looked quickly.

AE Dial Identifucation:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5867.0

Probably a good bet that the hole lower on the front was for the "Ring Button". After dialing your number YOU rang the called party's phone by pushing the button! Sort of a Very Early Caller ID...you could create ring codes! (Presumably). This didn't last long, the next SxS equipment included "Automatic Ringing" of the called party which is why so many of the buttons are now missing on the more common 1905 Strowger Phones. They must have upgraded CO equipment on existing exchanges and removed the buttons on the phones that were in place.

My guess is that this phone came after the 1905 model either just after the Sunburst Dial (1911-1912 ish) or just before the Type 23 (1923) Dial. But my knowledge of this stuff isn't good.

Terry

AE_Collector

I haven't checked to see if I can ID the bidders yet but quite surprised at what I will call "the level of inexperience" exhibited by the two top bidders. Both bid $1000 even? I NEVER EVER bid an even amount. If you are willing to go to about $1000 you bid $1001.01 or $1003.57 etc. The loser here lost by 1 cent and 4 seconds. Much worse than losing by the normal bid increment which could be what $10 or even $25 beginning at $1000?

Terry