News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phoneco, Inc.

Started by Babybearjs, July 26, 2014, 04:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Just so everyone knows..... Don't buy anything from Phoneco from their Bargain page! I just bought 2 caller ID units from them and 1 is DOA and the other works but both require plug-in power supplies and are "old School" technology. this is like going to a thrift store... AS-IS.... I was hoping for units that are battery powered, like what I already have.... another $25.00 out the window!
John

TelePlay

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 26, 2014, 04:25:33 PM
Just so everyone knows..... Don't buy anything from Phoneco from their Bargain page! I just bought 2 caller ID units from them and 1 is DOA and the other works but both require plug-in power supplies and are "old School" technology. this is like going to a thrift store... AS-IS.... I was hoping for units that are battery powered, like what I already have.... another $25.00 out the window!

Well, if you "expect" something specific and it wasn't listed, shouldn't you have asked first?

If you receive something that is defective, you should ask for a refund first before announcing a bad experience.

poplar1

Sorry, I didn't realize they had to be battery operated. I purchased several from phoneco several years ago and all had power supplies included and all worked. I like to use them with single line phones. They are also good on a separate pair (connected directly to the line) along with single line extensions on a Panasonic 616 Key System.

By old technology do you mean they don't have Caller ID on call waiting?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

JohnInWI

I've always had good experiences when purchasing from Phoneco.  They have fast shipping, (I live in the same state), and their prices are less than Old Phone Works.  But then OPW is in Canada, and they have to charge higher postage.  I've ordered from OPW as well (for parts that Phoneco didn't have), and the shipping time was longer.  Also for people that think both Phoneco and Old Phone works have high prices, you have to realize they are a business, and have to pay their employees, and they have overhead as well.

TelePlay

Quote from: JohnInWI on July 26, 2014, 07:21:46 PM
I've always had good experiences when purchasing from Phoneco.

As have I. But before I place an order with them, every time I'm thinking of buying something, I send them a message asking for details and they are quick to reply fully. The trick, I guess, is knowing what questions to ask to make sure you get what you want or need. Their online catalog lacks a lot of specific information, but, with the volumes of stuff they have for sale, I can see where they have to short hand their online descriptions. Same goes for OPW. Best to ask before placing an order than be disappointed when it arrives.

jludtxs

I just had a very good experience with Phoneco.  You have to ask questions to Mary who works in the afternoons. We emailed also but the calls were more productive because she could explain stuff and make recommendations. She was able to find parts that weren't listed but she knew she had them and found them quickly. I placed my order over the phone and some prices were lower than listed and some were higher but it all washed out in the end. I paid $10 more than expected but the overall price was still less than other stores I found online. She had polished brass bling parts that other stores just had unfinished. She did ask me if I needed cord and I said no but figured out today that the 425 network I bought needed a 6 wire and I had 4 wire. Now, I'm shopping around for 6 wire because the shipping on just the one item is too high.

MIPS

This has gone a year since its last post but I'd like to chime in on my experience with them.
I purchased through them a stack of 804A and 202CW series Dataphones, knowing that none of them were in all that happy of shape, but they sent photos of them and I chose out of the bunch what I wanted (I think they still have more if anyone is interested). They also showed me some rather nice  and old Code-A-Phones. I might ask about one again some time.
Anyways, prices were VERY reasonable. Shipping was what you would of expected for going halfway across North America and a border (expensive) but packing was a bit iffy. Each phone was given bubblewrap for the handset only, put in a box, and then put in another box and surrounded with more packing foam. All the auxiliary sets arrived intact thank god but the 202.....

On the bright side all the chunks remained in the box and I was able to rebuild it but still, I know I paid for a grubby phone with a broken lip, but I didn't pay for a grubby phone with a shattered front that took me a week to repair.

andre_janew

You did a most excellent job rebuilding it, too.

19and41

There are occasions when I go to the thrift stores for one thing or another and it always seems there are baskets of caller ID units that folks get rid of as their phones usually have them built in. They are also usually cheap enough that one could get a couple or three to try at home.  One can't return them per se, but they can be re- donated for a tax write off and the charities they support benefit as well.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

The inventory of the thrift stores is always changing.  Who knows what they will have from one day to the next.  One day you could find an interesting old phone in one.  Anything is possible!

19and41

That keeps things interesting.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Quote from: Babybearjs on August 08, 2015, 12:30:55 AM
I just went to phoneco's web address and they're server is down... does anyone know if its weather related or have they gone out of business??
Internet related. Site is up now...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001