News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two Sticks from CL BAD Packing

Started by Doug Rose, April 06, 2015, 05:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found two sticks on CL in RI on 3/17 for $200. They sat for a few weeks and I asked seller his best price and he said $125, WE agreed on $100 and $20 to mail them. Got them today and they we rolling around in the box. The prefect marked 143 was totally crushed. The stick is marked 20 BE and looks to have the base from a glass MP. Any ideas how to remove it as it is really stuck. Or doe they make re pro glass pieces to snap in

Second Stick is an English G. E Co from Coventry England. It had a late WE dial that is useless and a bad receiver. I bought them for the WE. Sometimes the bear bites you...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

G E Co  stick
Kidphone

wds

Even with the broken receiver you got a great deal.  I had a glass mouthpiece base, no glass, so I sold it.  Within a couple weeks the correct glass part sold on Ebay for a really good price.  Bad timing.  I would hang on to the base and wait for the glass piece to show up.  Nice sticks.
Dave

rdelius

Your GEC stick appears to have the triangular Union Telephone logo.

Doug Rose

Robbie...is that good?

Dave....how did you remove your base, it is really stuck in there.....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Dont know if good but it has traveled from England to S America to the USA.I had a brassed out one until it was stolen.Needs a brass rec and a Seimons Brothers #10 dial to put it back.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

wds

The UT is Union Telephone, and possible from Argentina.  Here is a thread that talks a little bit about the UT.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12799.msg134492#msg134492

The base should be cast iron and very heavy.  It should just pop off once you remove the screw, but it could be stuck.
Dave

Doug Rose

if anyone has any info on getting a glass MP for this stick, let me know. I just need the glass, looks like it would just snap in. A repro is fine....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Doug, I think John Infurna had some made. IIRC
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

thanks Harry....I'll check with John....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I worked on the two sticks today. The G E Co I will wait for parts and decide whether to paint or nickel, I just cobbled a display stick together. Yes a Frankenphone. This is heavy!! Someone tried to scratch the paint of the transmitter plate and did scratch the nickel!

The WE will go on eBay is parts. Base was damaged that I did not notice. The original paint is really nice except where it rubbed of. The transmitter plate is nickel but the plaque is brass.

Back to yard work!.....Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

I have to nitpick about calling GEC "G E Co.", it's either "The General Electric Corporation, Ltd.", or GEC, they never referred to themselves as anything else... :)

http://britishtelephones.com/histgec.htm

Doug Rose

My Mistake.....GEC. I don't know enough about them, won't happen again  :-\   ....Doug
Kidphone