News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Model 35

Started by wds, April 11, 2015, 10:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Finally got an AE 35 wall phone.  It was marked as a model 50, and dirty but it cleaned up nice with no chips, scratches.  Really nice phone.  I will switch out the handset with the older style, but this grooved handset will do for now. 
Dave

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Mr. Bones

Sweet wallphone, congratulations!!! 8)

Drooling with envy! ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Doug Rose

Very nice Dave...cleaned up wonderfully....Doug
Kidphone

wds

I picked up another AE 35 from ebay and was hoping to have two of them on display.  Unfortunately it came today, broken.  Although the packing wasn't terrible, it could have been much better.  Trying to work out a settlement now with the Seller.  Too many small broken pieces, and I haven't found them all so gluing it back together won't be an option.
Dave

Ktownphoneco

That has to be potentially the "MOST" annoying aspect of buying an antique telephone on eBay.     I can't for the life of me, figure out why these sets can't be packaged properly.      It's not "rocket science", nor is it expensive.    I devised a packaging method years ago, and I've never had a problem.    Every time I see damage like this, it boggles my mind.    Sad.

Jeff Lamb

LarryInMichigan

The AE35 has just become even rarer.  What a shame!

Larry

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Partyline4

What is the difference between the AE 35 and the AE 50?

Is it just the lack of the side vents on a 35?

Doug Rose

Better for an AE guy to explain, but there are major differences. The ringer is lower and you can see it from the bottom vents. AE35 has no side vents more like an AE34 desk phone but more scarce. An AE 50 is more like an AE 40 desk phone. They look the same from the outside except the vents or lack of vents. You can find them with mixed parts inside. It is a toughie to find as I just got mine last year. An AE 35 should have the older AE handset, but they are swapped out like an E1 for an F1. Better wait for the AE guys to set me straight    8)

There is nothing worse for the collector to open a box with a tough phone to find and see pieces. ...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Sorry for your loss, Dave! :'(

At least it's somewhat fixable. You could try gluing the bigger pieces in their proper places; may not look that great, but it's better than an open hole in the bottom.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on May 08, 2015, 02:40:48 PM
I can't for the life of me, figure out why these sets can't be packaged properly.      It's not "rocket science", nor is it expensive.    I devised a packaging method years ago, and I've never had a problem.

Jeff, would you be okay with telling us your packaging method which might be helpful to a lot of members just getting into selling phones.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on May 09, 2015, 10:05:10 AM
Quote from: Ktownphoneco on May 08, 2015, 02:40:48 PM
I can't for the life of me, figure out why these sets can't be packaged properly.      It's not "rocket science", nor is it expensive.    I devised a packaging method years ago, and I've never had a problem.

Jeff, would you be okay with telling us your packaging method which might be helpful to a lot of members just getting into selling phones.

Jeff did provide his method of packing a phone and it is so detailed and complete that I split out his post and moved it to

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14342.0

for quick and easy reference as needed.

Thanks, Jeff!