News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

smashed in post can anyone help!!!! Monophone 182 need new case.

Started by migette, November 26, 2015, 07:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

migette

Hi I ordered this early Starlite type phone and as you can see it got smashed in our marvelous postal service ( Hermes )  or another carrier as this went through many carriers. What are the Chance's that another case could be found as I would really like this to be repaired for my Museum. The case is NOT the same as the normal Starlite and would not fit. I would be willing to pay for any replacement and of postage. Still waiting for hospital treatment as last visit was taken up by an emergency and I lost my chance, think it was due to a stabbing which took place locally to the hospital St Georges of Tooting London.

migette

Further to this it now looks like the phone was smashed before it was even sent....seller now has first negative feedback for her troubles and I have lost £32.

Doug Rose

Sorry about your phone. How did you figure "the phone was smashed before it was even sent." Just curious....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

There are several different versions of the AE Starlite case. You need to make certain that you get the correct case or it wont fit.

This is the first version of the Starlite phone, the illuminated dial ring is directly powered by 120 volts AC though it does have the current limiting resistors in the base. The next revision which came quite quickly moved the resistors out of the phone and into the AC plug. The AC was then fed to the phone in the same cord as the phone line, a 5 conductor cord.

What colour is this Starlite? Usually there is a letter on the base to indicate the colour that it was originally. It will have 825 and a letter. B is Beige, E is Ivory, M is white.

Terry

migette

Hi thanks for your replies, a friend looked at the box which was not damaged and said it was probably broken prior to being sent, the lack of padding added to this and the handset was not padded and sat on the phone in the normal position. Padding used was clear plastic and not padded. The colour is beige but the only number found was type 182  with no mention of the name starlite. On the metal base is C T Co 1960 nb8 25 cb. The case is fitted by 2 screws like the Princess, no ringer and separate network and induction coil. The lite does not work so will have to see if the resistors are ok and not open cct, the pot meter appears ok and no damage to the dial. Will try and take picture of diagram.

migette

I wanted to put the diagram up but the pc has gone wrong and think its time for a new one, a nice lap top. sorry

AE_Collector

That numbering format is a little different layout than what I have seen though it adds up to the same outcome. Your phone likely went through a refurbisher who added the new tag to the bottom. The CB at the end likely indicates C for the Numbers & Letters Dial and B for Sand Beige. It is just coincidence that letter B is for Beige, it comes from the AE colour chart that Paul-f has online here:

http://www.paul-f.com/AEcolors.htm

There was briefly an AE 80 set with illuminated dial called an AE 82. It was just a stepping stone to the Starlite phone to keep up with the WECo Princess. This first Starlite with the AC cord came with 825 on the base but soon became known as 182 rather than 82. This was the common way that AE numbered redesigned upgraded models. 86 and 87 upgraded to 186 and 187 etc.

The electro-luminescent dial rings frequently quit or become very dim. Everything may be okay electrically with your Starlite, the ring just may be dead. Stub has done quite a bit if work in this area. I think he discovered that the wire connector to the actual ring breaks down but can be fixed.

I will check what I have for these phones but dont hold your breath. I am more likely to have a good phone with a poor case. You will likely have to start over and get another complete phone and can hopefully keep that one for spare parts.

Are you in the London area? How close to Reading?

Terry

Dan/Panther

Quote from: migette on November 26, 2015, 09:52:48 AM
Further to this it now looks like the phone was smashed before it was even sent....seller now has first negative feedback for her troubles and I have lost £32.
Did you go through all the normal channels before you left the negative feedback ?
Lack of damage to the box, no padding tells me the phone was damaged in transit from bouncing around inside the box.
If you did not contact the seller, maybe you should consider that before negative feedback.
JMHO

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

Shipping a phone with the handset in the cradle is a very good way to destroy it.  I always ask sellers to wrap the handset separately and keep it away from the base.  Most comply, but plenty ignore the request.  The shell of this particular phone was most probably smashed by the handset.

Larry

stub

migette,
              Here's how I fixed mine .  http://tinyurl.com/3u6zczr     
              Hope this helps.           stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

migette

Once again thanks for your nice comments, my pc has let me down and I cannot show the label which looks original and the other markings have printed over it. You may have guessed I do not really understand computers and they have a mind of their own. Thanks for the info on the lighted dial which will help also I had contacted the seller with no succes leaving me with the neg option, only my third one given to sellers the other two were to sellers in the UK . Yes I am in the London area and not too far from Reading. Also thanks for help in locating a shell as I can glue it together but would look awful. I will look into getting the dial working as this part is easy to me fixing electronic parts unlike computers that I hate working on.

stub

Peter,
        Here's what I found -- Send PM , later.  stub 
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

Sonny has some of these first generation Starlite housings. I'm not sure about the colors available.
His seller ID on eBay is sonnysvintagetelephones
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

I have to agree, the damage was done during shipping, not before hand. The lack of padding was the culprit. Leaving the handset on the cradle is a surefire method to destroy the phone every time! I always send a message to the seller with detailed instruction about proper packing. I also tell them I will not send payment until I get a response that they received my message and understand the request. Almost all have done it properly. I have only received one broken phone. One seller sent me pictures after he wrapped the phone and I told him it was unacceptable. Twice more he wrapped and sent pictures before he got it right!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

Please members, always exhaust all options before leaving negative feedback. It can not be reversed.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson