News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I got into a bidding war and paid a little more on this than I wanted. When I got it, it was beautiful, all original and  matching all the way. I emailed him about  if there were and cracks, he said no. I got the phone, it wasn't packed the greatest, and it has about a 3/4 inch crack on the left front foot.

He's been real cool about it and will even refund the entire amount including original cost, shipping, and return shipping. He has a buyer ready to buy it crack and all.

I'm thinking of using Dennis' repair advice on the troubleshooting topic, but is this worth it based on the price and value of this phone? Thanks guys, I love the phone, but don't know how badly the crack diminishes the value

By the way, in the picture the line from the 8 to the nine under the dial is a pretty significant scratch, but may buff out ok. Thanks

FYI:  The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards Hall of Shame Library

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, what a shame.  Another example of a vintage phone damaged because of poor packing.  You paid a lot for that phone to be cracked.  How much it will diminish the value is anyone's guess.  But if I were shopping for one and then you said it has a crack in it...I wouldn't pay $100 for it.  If you can keep it and get a 50% return then I'd consider that.  I know it's tough to part with them when they're nice.  But if you like it and think you can repair the crack and live with it then keep it.  There, that was a lot of help wasn't it?

BDM

I agree with Dennis on this. Crappy packing, don't even get me started!!! >:(
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan

Thanks. I am going to send it back. It's really a shame.It was basically packed in an insulated with styrofoam four sided box with a little bubble wrap around the handset. I'm sure it really jostled around a lot in the box.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Quote from: BDM on March 01, 2009, 06:26:10 PM
I agree with Dennis on this. Crappy packing, don't even get me started!!! >:(
Have you been a victim of crappy packaging? My best packed phone was a light blue 500 for $4 , 7.95 shipping and double wrapped , double boxed, newspaper, foam peanuts wonderful!
Then I get this beauty with a broken corner....

Dennis Markham

How many have arrived broken?  Let me count the ways......Here are just a couple.

The first sign that it isn't going to be good is when the box has a sticker on it that says the Post Office Re-packed it.  This 1950's red Kellogg 554 was broken as a result.  Thin newspaper packing.

Another bad sign is when plastic pieces the same color of the phone fall out during the unpacking process.  The green 500 is also a Kellogg.

Then the beige 500 that I thought was going to be soft plastic.  It wasn't but apparently the plastic wasn't hard enough.  And the pink 500 that someone had broken the part inside the case where the screw tightens down the cover.  They glued it and didn't say anything on eBay about it.  When I tried to remove the cover it fell to pieces (Just like Patsy Cline).....

There have been more.  I feel your pain!

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Dennis,
Looking at your photos is painful. I hope that, at least, the sellers made right on all of those, although it doesn't change the fact that a  bunch of great telephones were needlessly destroyed.

Dennis Markham

Ben, most of the sellers offer something.  Either a full refund if the phone is returned or a partial refund.  But I always hate to send the phone back and in fact never have.  I figure they'll probably just throw it away.  In the case of the green Kellogg I have managed to part it out to people looking for that color of green to finish one of their projects.  There have been some that I don't even bother contacting them.  I just try and remember who they are for next time.  And then there are those that say I should have purchased insurance---but that doesn't bring back the damaged phone.

McHeath

What a sad group of pictures.  Each one lost can't be recovered.  Very sad. 

Dennis Markham

Looking back at the first photo of the cardboard box repaired by the Post Office; it reminds me how often people will reuse a box to the point there is no structural support.  They're like paper they've been used so much.  The Post Office will give you a Priority box if you ask for one---free, as long as one uses Priority mail to ship it.

Dan/Panther

And no matter how flawlessly you can repair it, it will never be the same.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

If I had a nickel for everything I had shipped to me and broken, I could buy a few more things!  I've had so many things just fall to pieces, figured I'd quote Patsy Cline (as I thought of the song before I even got to where you had referenced it haha)

Also, on an unrelated note.  I'm a newbie to the phone thing and was at the local antique store today, there was a Kellogg Wall-Mount phone for 150 bucks.  The classic country kitchen phone with the side crank and the double bell, I'll try to get back over there next week and get a picture of it. 

Also , on another unrelated note, there was a $50 Kellogg black rotary phone, 50s or prior with the metal rotary dial, the phone-to wall wiring was gone, and it had a white button built in to the top left of the dial.  I'll try to get a pic of this one too.
- Tom

Dan

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 01, 2009, 11:34:43 PM
And no matter how flawlessly you can repair it, it will never be the same.
D/P

That's the thing. I really want to keep this, I think I can make the crack vanish, but it is still there....I'm changing my mind each day on this one. Dennis, your pictures make me angry and sad @ the same time!

JimH

After receiving several broken phones myself, I now give specific instructions on how I would like the phone packed.  Bubble wrap with the handset not on the phone, with enough packing so that it doesn't move around inside the box.  I tell them if there's extra cost involved to ship it this way, I'm willing to pay.  This saves a lot of heartache, and I've had good results.
Jim H.