News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I would have been devastated.  Was this receiver wrapped in two layers of newspaper like so many things that I have received?

Larry

Sargeguy

Yes it was, and stuck in the battery compartment.  The guy wrapped the phone in several layers of foam padding, and even taped a piece of plastic over the diagram to protect it.  He removed the hook, which I hadn't requested, and left the magneto handle on, which got bent.  I suppose he tried.  I will have to chalk it up to doing business with a guy who knows absolutely nothing about phones.  If he had, I'm sure he would have mentioned the OST and transmitter in his post, and I would have had more competition.  As it is, the "Antique Wall Phone" auction had no other bidders when it ended at 9am EST on a Monday morning.  It had been listed at $175, and I had meant to bid on it, but forgot to. That auction ended with no bidders and was relisted at the lower price.  I made certain I bid the second time around.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

I was wondering where the hook was.  Even with the broken receiver, you obviously got quite a deal.

What makes people think that a couple of layers of newspaper protects anything fragile?  I should start being more specific in my packing instructions about what constitutes padding and what does not.  I have received phones with the handsets or receivers wrapped in a couple of layers of paper when I asked that they be wrapped and padded.

Larry

Sargeguy

This guy padded everything but the receiver.

I guess I shouldn't feel too bad, someone has an OST reciver with an even worse crack up on ebay with a $145 BIN.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170777089923

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bamagirl88

When packing Vintage phones-that's like the 1st and foremost do's and don't you learn right out of "diaper training"  lol I even get the padded envelopes from the USPS store online and I put my phone in one of the padded envelopes and the receiver in the other padded envelopes-I seal both of them up-then I put one of the padded envelopes on the bottom & use bubble wrap in all 4 corners of the box and something strong down the middle to keep them separated and then pack it down with newspaper for the travel.  I have excellent reviews on my packaging technique so far no complaints & cross my fingers-no broken phones.  I am new at this, so any suggestions-please I'm open for any.  :0)  That was just ridiculous, so sorry Sargeguy about your mishap.  :(  But you could get a refund thru eBay so you don't have to pack everything back up if I'm not wrong.  So sorry that really bites.  UGH   :0)
Just call me Sherry from Alabama Roll Tide Roll!

pbghmike77

I think you should at least minimum ask the guy for a few dollars back. For the simple reason to make sure he pays attention better next time. The best way to get an ebay sellers attention is through their wallet. You sound like a more than fair guy but do the next 100 buyers a favor and teach the guy a $20 lesson. I'm a full time ebay seller and would not be able to improve if I didnt get feedback from my buyers. Yes I have had a mishap or two but made them right and paid a lot closer attention the next time. Good luck.

HowardPgh

I have the same type of experience with ebay items broken. Most of it is poor packing. Like not securing heavy items that can move and bash against other stuff. I received a ring type cabon mic thathe ring is in several pieces because of the heavy element moving around on its springs. I think the whole thing shifted to one side of the box.  Also be aware that the cold weather causes old metals and hard bakelites to become extra brittle.
Howard

Karen

I got a wall phone recently in a box.... with NO PACKING MATERIALS.  Nothing.  Just banging around against the receiver the whole way here.  I was so mad.

jsowers

Quote from: gymcrackery on February 15, 2012, 02:07:57 AM
I got a wall phone recently in a box.... with NO PACKING MATERIALS.  Nothing.  Just banging around against the receiver the whole way here.  I was so mad.

You mean like this? By some miracle this 554, which was hard plastic, wasn't damaged. Amazing, both for the stupidity of the seller and that it arrived without damage. I've posted it before, but the new guys haven't seen it.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

I am surprised that some sellers even bother with a box.  Why not just stick an address label and postage to the phone itself? ::)

Larry

wds

Funny you should say that.  I bought a 3' round telephone sign, I think it might have gone to a phone booth.  One of the opaque signs that's back lit.  The seller wrapped it a couple times with clear shrink wrap and put a UPS label on it and shipped it.  Can't believe it arrived in one piece.
Dave

Karen

Quote from: jsowers on February 15, 2012, 08:43:10 AM
You mean like this? By some miracle this 554, which was hard plastic, wasn't damaged. Amazing, both for the stupidity of the seller and that it arrived without damage. I've posted it before, but the new guys haven't seen it.

Almost.  The box for mine was much wider.  Lots of extra room! Im fairly certain it would have safer if she really HAD just stuck some postage on the phone.

And on the flip-side, I just sent a wall phone, wrapped in inches of bubble wrap to canada, where it showed up cracked, with the whole plastic facing popped off, and the plug shredded and destroyed.  Im talking, large bubble wrap, paper filler...etc...  That thing should have been able to sustain a drop kick.

RotarDad

Here's a fresh Ebay purchase that arrived today.  A '55 Moss Green 500 for $10.50 plus shipping.  Its all date-code original except for the '67 handset cord.  When I saw it on the porch, I immediately thought oh no, that box is just too small for a phone. :o   Sure enough, it was an interference fit and you can see also the indentations on the box top from the cradle ears.  What you see is what I saw when I opened the box - not even a single piece of newspaper!   I'm not sure who I should thank more, Western Electric or the USPS, but the phone was undamaged by the trip across the country.  It should clean up nicely.  Fortunately, a good story with a happy ending.  :)
Paul

jsowers

Wow! What a great deal on a soft plastic phone! And what a lousy packing job! Reminds me of the yellow 554 I've posted several times, that came in a thin, oblong Priority box with the metal switchhook pierced through the side of the box, holding the phone so it somehow didn't come in contact with the handset at the bottom of the box. Mine arrived safely too, and with no packing material.

I've had plenty of phones packed better than this one that didn't arrive safely, so you are very, very lucky. There's still time for you to post this in the May find of the month too. You even got the rare dark gray mounting cord. That was a great find. The cord alone costs more than that, so even if you got a box of broken plastic, you still would have gotten a deal.
Jonathan

TelePlay

You may want to buy a lottery ticket soon, before it your luck runs out . . .  ;D