News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

You have my sympathies.  Was the handset properly wrapped in bubble wrap or just left sitting in the phone hook?  I tell people all of the time to wrap handsets and keep them away from the phones, and to many or most, the idea had never occurred.

Larry

TelePlay

poplar1

Maybe packing the handset "on hook" is all that's left of years of programming to hang up the phone when not in use, listen for dial tone before dialing, and answer promptly even in the middle of supper.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

The handset was wrapped in bubble wrap, as requested, and  left on hook . The base was wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and put in a 18" sg. box with 1 lb. of shredded newspaper ::). Anyway ,I had a extra handset so I'm back in business.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

sebbel

I always bubble wrap both the phone and the handset. The I individual wrap the in 2 cardboard. Then I separate both pieces with yet another piece of cardboard. And the ship that in a doulbe cardboard box hat I cut and tape to size.  I'm equally stuburn with all I ship. Never had a problem so far. I fact most my feed back has a comment on how well the item was packed.

It's a pain to pack but at the end of the day it's worth it. With 3 supermarkets, 2 drugstore and a hardware store in the area I get packing supplies by the ton for free.
Seb.

HowardPgh

Was the retaining ring and spitcup still salvagable. Its hard to find that ring not dented or misshaped.

It is upsetting when items aren't paced well. I had a ring and spring type carbon mike come shattered because a sharp edge managed to deflate the plastic pillows.
Howard

stub

HowardPgh ,
                   The ring was bent and I fixed it, and the spitcut was good.
                   People don't have a clue as to what happens when a package is shipped!!!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

pbghmike77

Quote from: stub on June 28, 2012, 10:10:21 AM
HowardPgh ,
                   The ring was bent and I fixed it, and the spitcut was good.
                   People don't have a clue as to what happens when a package is shipped!!!    stub
This is too true. I sold a comic book @ $500 and handed to my mail lady at the back of her truck. She scanned it in and frisbee tossed it into the back of the truck floor. I watch them drop packages in the yard and throw many of them into the truck. I'm surprised more items dont get damaged when packing them.

Greg G.

My Beehive phone arrived today.  They stuffed the phone, crank side down, in a small box barely big enough to accommodate it, with no padding underneath it, only on one side, then put that box in another box, still crank side down, with wadded paper for padding.  Sure, they wrapped the handset separately, but didn't follow my instructions to remove the crank.  I had an awful feeling when I lifted up the inner box and tilted it and heard something rattling.  Once I get done being upset, I'll be filing a claim with the shipper.  I would call and scream at them, but it's the weekend.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

That's really too bad.

Would be great if someone did a step by step way to correctly pack and ship every known phone in the world, including pictures or even a YouTube video, so a shipping link could be given to the seller in the comments section. But, that will never happen and even if it did, I know there are sellers out there who either wouldn't or don't care or still think they know better and do it their way.

It could be a project phone but will never be as strong as originally cast once repaired.

That was really, really too bad.  >:(

Greg G.

In this case, I talked to the shipper on the phone right after I won it, and sent instructions on removing the crank and wrapping the handset.  It probably would have arrived intact had they not put it in the box crank side down.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Briny,

I am awfully sorry to hear that.  When I spoke with the woman at the auction house, she told me that she had spoken with you, and I mentioned to her and a woman at the shipping company that the phone you had bought was extremely fragile.  I hope that you get a refund.

BTW, my AE 3, from the same auction, also arrived today.  It looks like it survived even though it wasn't packed so well.  The handset has two cracks, but they may have already been there.

Larry

liteamorn

Everyone should pack phones like you Larry, they would survive a bomb blast! Bubble wrap is amazing stuff as well as styrofoam popcorn.

stub

Briny,
          Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know the feeling. Good luck on the next phone purchase!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dave F

That's a real shame.  Beehive phones are among the most fragile to ship.