News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I just sent an email to the shipper along with some pics.  I'll follow up with a phone call on Monday.   :-[
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Sent an email with pics to the shipper, also the auction house called and apologized and said they would give me a refund and wait to be reimbursed from the shipper.

FYI, here's the pics of how it was packed, with the exception that the boxes were taped shut.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

twocvbloke

That is a shame that it's been ruined, and it got more packaging material than my GPO 706 did (a light sprinkling of packing peanuts, and arrived with a scratch that wasn't in the pictures)... :-\

I think there should be a course people can go on to learn how to properly pack things for sale on ebay, it'd save them a bundle on refunds I'm sure, cos some people just do not know the meaning of the word "packaging".... :o

LarryInMichigan

The pathetic thing is that this packing was done by a shipping company, not the auctioneer who sold it.  People in the shipping business should know how to pack items.

My phone was not packed much better, but is fortunately less fragile.  I am annoyed at the high amount that I was charged for the shipping.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Today, I received the dark brown Ericofon which I bought more than couple of weeks ago: ebay link.  The seller originally wanted $20 for shipping.  before paying, I sent the seller a message explaining that Priority Mail would cost him only about $7, so I shouldn't have to pay $20.  After three days, he responded, and I managed to negotiate the shipping charge down to $9.  When I saw the box which finally arrived today, almost two weeks after I paid, my heart stopped.  The phone, which is about 4" wide, was stuffed into a 2 1/2" high Priority Mail box :o.  When I picked up the box, I heard loose things moving around inside it.  I carefully opened the box, holding my breath and expecting the worst, but the phone emerged somehow undamaged.  The loose plug and cord were making the sounds that I heard. I was able to start breathing again.  I don't know if I should send a message to the seller or forget about it, but I just cannot begin to imagine what he was thinking.

BTW, the postage cost him $7.05.

Larry

LM Ericsson

That must have been a close one!!
Regards,
-Grayson

RotarDad

That's another amazing one, Larry.  It's nice to hear the ones that turn out well.  It does make me nervous when I feel I've found a good deal.  If I didn't pay a lot, the seller may not place the value on the the phone that I do.  Reminds me of my M. Brown 500 I found BIN on Ebay a couple years back.  The phone arrived with the handset on the cradle inside a white plastic grocery bag and then in a box with only a modest amount of packing.  Fortunately the white bag was tied tightly so the handset couldn't move - it made it just fine.  Glad yours did too!

Ebay does certainly have a "wild west" element to it, no matter how many rules they have in place!
Paul

Karen

Its amazing that with THAT much packing material, they still did it all wrong. 

Greg G.

If they had placed it on it's back instead of it's side, it may have survived the trip.  I haven't examined the crank, but I have two Leich desk phones with presumably the same crank, and it would seem to me that it would take more than just the weight of the phone to actually bend the crank as much as it did.

Which reminds me, I need to give the auctioneer a call, haven't heard anything yet and they said they would contact me end of last week about a refund.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Quote from: TelePlay on July 28, 2012, 09:19:43 PM
That's really too bad.

Would be great if someone did a step by step way to correctly pack and ship every known phone in the world, including pictures or even a YouTube video, so a shipping link could be given to the seller in the comments section. But, that will never happen and even if it did, I know there are sellers out there who either wouldn't or don't care or still think they know better and do it their way.

It could be a project phone but will never be as strong as originally cast once repaired.

That was really, really too bad.  >:(

John;
On the Antique Radio forum I belong to, we did exactly that, collectively wrote up a procedure to pack various types of radios and televisions. We emailed a copy to anyone that wanted it, and every time a purchase was made, we sent the email along with the payment.
Didn't do much good but it was an idea.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Owain

Oh dear

My recently acquired 'Direct Line' phone arrived, admittedly in bubble wrap, but in a bin bag.

seriously, a bin bag.

Through the post.

Some people have never heard my packing mantra, "if you can't play rugby with it, it's not packed properly."

RotarDad

To finish the story on this '55 Moss Green 500:  I just found a ho-hum black 500 on Ebay but look at the cord.....  After a little clean-up, my Moss Green is back to factory trim, and I have yet another black 500 (mostly '54) that needs some work.
Paul

TelePlay

Quote from: johnnyjt on May 21, 2012, 01:00:43 PM
I got a 2500 Yellow WE with handset on hook wrapped in bubble wrap with a crack on the right side where the receiver was, made apparently after the box was dropped by the Post Office.

Could this be fixed?

JohnnyJT    8)
South Philly

There is a lot of information about a lot of plastic refinishing techniques including filling and sanding cracked shells at this thread. Some have used the dissolved plastic technique to restore removed mouse holes.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5059.0

cihensley did a lot of experimentation on phone refinishing including dissolving plastic cut off of ribs inside of the shell in a solvent and using that to fill a crack. It's like welding a crack with the same plastic that is cracked. It's a more complicated fix than glue but a more accurate fix.

I read in another post that he has found a 10 to 1 solvent to plastic solution eliminated that air bubble problem, just requires more applications of the dissolved plastic.

Doug Rose

Two AE Bakelite intercoms, from the look of the handsets I salvaged and the shine of the bakelite, these look as if they were never used. I asked the seller to ZPLEASE wrap the handsets and the phones in bubble and PLEASE use plenty of newspaper so they do not move in the box. A rattling box is never ever good. I couldn't unpack it, I had Janet do it. Cellophane a a few Styrofoam boars. Everything was banging around inside. "it does n't look too bad.........ooooh sh*t". Oh sh*t was right, Totally destroyed. Handsets and  cloth cords look like they are NOS. What a darn shame!....Doug
Kidphone