"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 25, 2013, 06:08:11 PM
Yes, MOST sellers, not most sellers selling specifically telephones, it's the few that do the job by the book that usually are the exception, so there's no need for such an outburst like that... ::)

The facts come from buying many items on ebay since I joined that site in 2003, most if not all of the items I've received have arrived in re-used packaging, occasionally badly packed, sent by postage that was a lot less than was stated on the auction (when the sellers forgot to hide the actual shipping cost), so, yeah, I'm pretty sure I can say that those are facts... :)

And I have indeed sold one thing on ebay, over 50 things actually, so I have experience of selling and packing with new or decent re-used boxes & padding, and only charging for the shipping, so to claim I'M generalising, yeah, you might want take a look at what you just posted in detail, cos you've just done what you're accusing me of there...  ;)
Most sellers are trying to make a profit on shipping by using inferior boxes ??? That is what you are saying :'(
Not using proper packing :-\ I got it now  ::)......sorry for the outburst :-X  ???
Kidphone

Matilo Telephones

Wow, guys. Ease up there. It was only a small crack.  ;)

I'm sure you are both saying the same thing, accept using different words.

Anyway, as national deliveries do not travel great distances here in my experience the parcels do not suffer very much. If only packed with a little soft material in a not too small box is usually enough here. Double layers of bubble wrap and 2 boxes is overdoing it. For national shipments I only use one box (but I do double bubble wrap).

I've sent out over 100 telephones over the years and never had one damaged in transit. Of course I use more packaging when shipping internationally.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

HarrySmith

Agreed. I have purchased a couple of phones from eBay ::) I always give detailed instructions to the seller and tell them I will not make payment until they acknowledge said instructions. Most will comply, some agree and then simply throw it in a box with no packing anyway! Somewhere here I posted about an intercom I purchased, it took the seller 3 tries to get it packed correctly, but he kept trying until I was happy! Positive feedback for that seller! As a seller I have shipped fragile porcelain and crystal items all over the world, besides phones, and have never had a broken item. I reuse bubble wrap, I get most of my boxes from work(car parts) or use the flat rate boxes. Most of the time the eBay shipping calaulator is too high which I mention in my auction, in that case I refund the difference. I make money on the item, not the shipping. I maintain a 100% feedback score and if you take a peek at it you will see almost every one mentions the packing.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=d_and_h_cool_stuff&ftab=AllFeedback
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Icefire

I am amazed. received my first AE40 today, in a flat rate box barely bigger than the phone. Had some notebook paper on the side, not much. Expecting to see a shattered phone, I opened the box, and:

No damage at ALL!!!  I am amazed. Thanks, USPS!!!

Matilo Telephones

Groeten,

Arwin

paul-f

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on March 10, 2014, 04:32:13 PM
You lucky b#)(*%#!!

I couldn't agree more, Arwin!

USPS deserves no credit at all for the safe arrival.  A phone packed like that deserved to be destroyed.

You should buy lottery tickets, while you're hot!   ;D
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Matilo Telephones

Well I do not know about USPS, but here Postnl has a automatic sorting and handling system with conveyer belts. And packages just drop a couple of inches from on to the other in that system. Can't blame them really.
Groeten,

Arwin

Icefire

And the phone came to far Northern California from Florida... Hope the next one I am waiting on is whole, too.

twocvbloke

You know, I forgot to add my GPO 706's packing when I got it, it wasn't pretty at all, and the handset wasn't really wrapped at all, just a bit of paper and then laid over the phone (receiver over the dial, transmitter between the hook), that was lucky to have survived aswell, had the phone's shell been Diakon (it's ABS, and the handset Diakon), it too would have been smashed... :o

Didn't get many pics though, just these three:

Mr. Bones

While the item I received was not telephony-related, this certainly rates among the worst packed, and I wanted to share...

Items were 3 Revere Ware saucepans, 1, 2, 3 qt., shipped with lids on, arrived just fine, miraculously, but:

Wow! Where do they grow these people? :o

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

Quote from: Mr. Bones on May 02, 2014, 11:34:52 PMWow! Where do they grow these people? :o

I blame car airbags and seatbelts...

Greg G.

Quote from: Mr. Bones on May 02, 2014, 11:34:52 PM
     While the item I received was not telephony-related, this certainly rates among the worst packed, and I wanted to share...

Items were 3 Revere Ware saucepans, 1, 2, 3 qt., shipped with lids on, arrived just fine, miraculously, but:

Wow! Where do they grow these people? :o

Best regards!

O...M...G!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Fabius

The eBay seller wrapped this phone I won only in newspaper and used a flimsy cardboard box (the kind the stuff from China comes in at the dollar store) and sent it by USPS parcel select (parcel post). The seller gave me a full refund and I didn't have to send it back.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Greg G.

Quote from: Fabius on July 30, 2014, 10:32:33 PM
The eBay seller wrapped this phone I won only in newspaper and used a flimsy cardboard box (the kind the stuff from China comes in at the dollar store) and sent it by USPS parcel select (parcel post). The seller gave me a full refund and I didn't have to send it back.

Wow!  Well, let's see what's left.  From here I can see a fingerwheel, dial, base, I'm going to assume the handset and cord.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Fabius

Yes, though the phone has gone to the big telco in the sky at least it donated it parts so other 500 sets will live.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905