"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Posted by royalbox in this topic

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21770.msg222792#msg222792

saying:

"I don't know if you found out whether the colour was the same as the 8746 in the end but if it is, I have some ABS that came from this phone if you need it"

and

"It was sent in a thin, oversized cardboard box with no packaging whatsoever."

dsk

I just received 4 telephones, her is how they were sent.

It is just luck that the bakelite telephone was unharmed, the other ones has less brittle plastics, but even the red cobra came with an unharmed dial plate.

dsk

FABphones

Quote from: dsk on February 27, 2019, 02:56:22 PM
I just received 4 telephones, her is how they were sent.

It is just luck that the bakelite telephone was unharmed, the other ones has less brittle plastics, but even the red cobra came with an unharmed dial plate.

dsk

No way :o !!!   Amazed they made it undamaged.

Would love to see them photographed out of the box - start a thread for them?   :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

dsk

SunriseEarth

Ugh.   Sad day for me.   I got a Blue/Gold Celebrity on eBay.   i've wanted this combination for a while, but haven't seen one.   And sadly, it arrived shattered.

The seller took efforts to protect it.   The phone was wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded by crumpled newspaper.   However, IMHO, the box was too big and allowed for too much movement.  The base appeared to be almost completely upside down when I removed it in pieces.
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

What a shame and a blue one at that.  >:(

tubaman

Very sad - I know how it feels when this happens  :'(

jpbales

I recently got the idea in my head that I need a green WE 500. I figured it would look nice on my desk at work and they seem to be the cheapest ones on eBay. So I ordered one and when it finally arrived it was cracked in several places. It was packed in a medium flat rate box w/ shredded paper and cardboard.

So then I figure i'll get another one and use the first for parts. So I bought another on eBay, and sure enough it was crushed worst than the first! Same medium flat rate box, but this time in bubble wrap.

Neither packages looked crushed or in bad shape.

I actually have another one on the way. I'm not hopeful at this point. I told them to pack it carefully.  I'm in the market for green 500 shells, by the way! I'm also open to other ideas for what to do with the phone bases (I was thinking about making subsets, but don't know where to start or what I build them in).
-Jim

RotarDad

Wow, that is too bad.  A medium flat rate box will work great if two things are done:

1) the phone must be kept from moving in the box with some cushion on all sides.

2) the handset must be kept isolated from the phone body.
Paul

dsk

I did not have a good feeling when this parcel arrived. The phone was just wrapped with tape and ....

but it turned out to be OK.

It looks like I have got help from someone  ;)

dsk

HarrySmith

WOW, you got lucky. Congrats.

Quote from: jpbales on March 29, 2019, 05:50:37 PM
I actually have another one on the way. I’m not hopeful at this point. I told them to pack it carefully.  I’m in the market for green 500 shells, by the way! I’m also open to other ideas for what to do with the phone bases (I was thinking about making subsets, but don’t know where to start or what I build them in).

Did you ever manage to get a non damaged one?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

A while back I had a Black Diakon GPO 706 turn up, handset still on the cradle - wrapped only in bubble wrap...
...in the shape and size of a football. I kid ye not.

It survived.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Packing? Who needs packing? ..Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Packing will keepthelamp makers out.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

KEN