News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

I just updated the "broken phone" library to include the latest disappointments. This collection can be used, in total or by one image, to show a seller what happens when a phone is not packed well for shipping. These links are also posted in the very first post of this topic so they can be found easily as this post gets lost in the middle over time.

CAUTION -- do not click either of these two links if already in a bad mood . . .

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards Hall of Shame Library

or this link directly to the first 20 images in that collection . . .

http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/CRPF/library/Bad%20Packing%20Results/001-020

Matilo Telephones

Thanks. I am going to include a link to this library in my packing instructions text.

Perhaps it will save one or two phones form harm.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

TelePlay

Doug Rose had a bad experience and here is the link to the post discussing his purchase.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14110.msg147390#msg147390

Doug posted this, at that link, about the broken receiver:  "I found two sticks on CL in RI on 3/17 for $200. They sat for a few weeks and I asked seller his best price and he said $125, WE agreed on $100 and $20 to mail them. Got them today and they we rolling around in the box. The prefect marked 143 was totally crushed. "

TelePlay

wds just had a bad experience with buying an AE 35 off of eBay and here is the link to the post discussing his purchase.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14154.msg149422#msg149422

I did a side by side with the right half being flash filled to better show the damage, the hole, and the innards exposed by it.

TelePlay

MIPS found this in a box that arrived in the mail.  Uploading a photo here for the record. The event is posted at this link:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12353.msg151048#msg151048

MIPS

Yeah, wasn't happy. Big ticket item out of the deal after missing out on a 103 a few weeks earlier (christ that got expensive fast) and it arrived demolished.

Dave F

Quote from: MIPS on June 18, 2015, 08:41:32 PM
Yeah, wasn't happy. Big ticket item out of the deal after missing out on a 103 a few weeks earlier (christ that got expensive fast) and it arrived demolished.

I can certainly sympathize with you.  Data Phones are particularly susceptible to shipping damage due to the heavy weight and the frailness of the front housing.  You can see my similar experience here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=68c5b005a54f0b6c8206a4015d1be4a9&topic=717.msg43127#msg43127

DF

MIPS

To be frank, it's because of your post that I even realized where to find those Datasets.

You can see the phones I ended up buying a few posts down.

As fragile as the piece was, it bonded back together really well with brush-on krazy glue. You still got that DATA PHONE label still? Mine and the plastic cover for it were always missing.

AE_Collector

Quote from: paul-f on August 23, 2010, 06:11:18 PM
Try calling or emailing Phoneco.  When I was there a few years ago they had a pile (literally) of data sets.  A quick look left me with the impression that at least some of them must be parts sets.  ::) ::)

Ironically Paul-F gave this advise to Dave F back in 2010 when his Data Set arrived smashed. MIPS took his advice and ordered a smashed parts phone from their supply!

Terry

Dave F

Quote from: MIPS on June 18, 2015, 11:02:01 PM
To be frank, it's because of your post that I even realized where to find those Datasets.

You can see the phones I ended up buying a few posts down.

As fragile as the piece was, it bonded back together really well with brush-on krazy glue. You still got that DATA PHONE label still? Mine and the plastic cover for it were always missing.
I do still have the Data Phone label and its clear plastic cover.  However, I'm still looking for a replacement front cover!

DF

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 19, 2015, 01:25:03 AM
Quote from: paul-f on August 23, 2010, 06:11:18 PM
Try calling or emailing Phoneco.  When I was there a few years ago they had a pile (literally) of data sets.  A quick look left me with the impression that at least some of them must be parts sets.  ::) ::)

Ironically Paul -F gave this advise to Dave F back in 2010 when his Data Set arrived smashed. MIPS took his advice and ordered a smashed parts phone from their supply!

Terry

I did in fact take Paul's advice and call Phoneco but, at least back then, they did not have any spare housings available.

DF

LarryInMichigan

This isn't a phone, but it is such a tragedy that I needed to post it.  I bought a Silvertone model 8005 radio on ebay last week for a very good price.  These 1948 model radios are bakelite painted a blue-green metallic color which was very popular at the time.  Most of the ones I have seen online have substantial paint loss, but the paint on this one was much better.  Unfortunately, the seller stuffed the radio, lying on its back side, into a flimsy box which was only just big enough to fit the radio and a single layer of thin bubble wrap.  The cabinet was damaged far beyond repair in transit.  The seller gave me a refund, but I would really like a radio.  If you have a spare cabinet for this radio, please contact me.

Larry

What a shame. I think I would be some upset.

TelePlay

Posted in this topic,

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15266.0

migette said this about this phone damaged in shipping:

"Hi I ordered this early Starlite type phone and as you can see it got smashed in our marvelous postal service ( Hermes )  or another carrier as this went through many carriers. What are the Chance's that another case could be found as I would really like this to be repaired for my Museum. The case is NOT the same as the normal Starlite and would not fit. I would be willing to pay for any replacement and of postage."

Posted here for posterity.

TelePlay

Not a phone but a rather rare Olympic AM/SW radio with what was, before shipping, a very nice, undamaged burled walnut Bakelite case. I asked the seller to please pack it well to avoid damage. She did not put much packing on the bottom so this heavy radio was very close to the flimsy cardboard box that she used to ship the radio. It was wrapped in only two layers of the small bubble size wrap and the paper and chunks of Styrofoam and cardboard placed inside to protect it did not help when this box was dropped hard somewhere along the way.

Big disappointment with this. Haven't contacted the seller yet, it just came today. Any suggestions on how much I should get back for this?

Center photo is the damage, left photo cracks outlined in yellow and the right photo is the eBay listing.

TelePlay

Contacted the seller by eBay message on Friday morning - have not yet heard back from her. I sent two more messages today to get 7 additional damage pictures to her. If she does not respond by Tuesday, I will go the official, formal eBay complaint route.

What seemed to be a packing only issue turned out to be a sad story of stupidity on the seller's part. Not only was the packing on the bottom only crushed brown paper but the power cord was not secured inside the cabinet. As I opened up the radio, I was finding several small black plastic pieces that did not seem to be part of the radio but had no idea of where they came from. After taking the additional cabinet photos, I looked at the pieces and it hit me. They looked like the power plug and, yes, the plug was also damaged. The damaged power plug, a piece of junk before being damaged, is seen in the photo showing the top side of the chassis. Also seen in that photo are the 2 dial lamps out of their mounting sockets. The drop was so hard, both of the two lamps (shows with a red dot on them) came out of their mounts (circled in red).

Takes a lot to break one of those power plugs but the drop did. So, the round power plug caused the cabinet damage just as putting a golf ball under the cabinet and dropping it would also do. What a sad shame that a stupid packing error, or two errors being a wandering plug and insufficient packing, destroyed a perfectly in good, near NOS burled brown Bakelite cabinet that lasted for 75 years, but is no longer. What a stupid waste!