News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wallphone Displays: A second look

Started by Jester, October 20, 2010, 01:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

I remember a few members lamenting how much room wallphones take up in relation to desk phones.  Below are a few shots of my display area that shows how wallphones actually maximize my display space.
Stephen

Phonesrfun

Looks nice!  Would it detract from the display to have some hanging from the ceiling?

-Just kidding.
-Bill G

Adam

Well... the one in the middle you can reach with a cherry picker...   :)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dennis Markham

Great display, Stephen.  On the 554's do you have back plates on them or just the one beige one?  Is that a wooden 172 back board or one of those plastic ones to hang on the phone jack?

I'm still trying to figure out how to hang all of my wall phones.  Much of my stuff is in boxes too.  

baldopeacock

And there's room for more above that window.   :)

Russ Kirk

That's an excellent way to display 554 wallphones. I bet that gives you an incentive to get allthe colors.

Russ... 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Jester

All of these have a 228 modular back on them.  I had a bunch of spare 630 covers, so it makes mounting/demounting much easier.  I have an example of the 172 backboard in black painted wood & red plastic that I intend to use in this display after they are cleaned up.  Another reason I mounted these to backplates was to get them farther away from the wall.  I think it makes them more visible.

Russ, that is my intention.  If I've measured correctly, I have just enough room to mount all fifteen 554 colors in the space over that window.
Stephen

jsowers

You have an excellent display going there, Stephen. With room to grow. And I bet nobody else has noticed you have them in order by WE color code.

I also like how you happened to have the perfect place for the ivory coil cord to hang down and not get in the way of anything.

Good luck finding the rest of the 554s.
Jonathan

Jester

Good eye, Jonathan.  Yes, I've tried to arrange the 554's according to color code.  As I clean up the others in my possesion & add to what is missing, the current order will change a little--another reason I went with the modular backs.  It will make switching the order alot easier.
Stephen

jsowers

Quote from: Jester on October 20, 2010, 03:54:46 PM
Good eye, Jonathan.

My great-grandmother was an Eagle:)

Seriously, she was Nancy Eagle Goodman. My uncle says the Eagles came from Switzerland. It also explains why I like Swiss cheese and maybe soft plastic.  :)
Jonathan

K1WI

Hi ,   
I am a new member here on thr forum and was wondering what you meant by the Western Electric color code.  Been getting a lot of great info from this forum ...so thanks to all.
   Andy     (K1WI)

paul-f

Colors were ordered by adding a 2 or 3 digit color code to the model number.

You can see some examples here (along with colors for other makers):
  http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm#WEcolors

And a longer list of color codes used by Western Electric (for phones, devices, cords, etc.) here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/wecolors.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

K1WI

Thanks for the fill in.never knew there was an order for subscriber sets, . A bit familair with the Blue , orange , green , brown slate color code.   
   Again thanks
    Andy K1WI

McHeath

Nice display.  You have turned a functional object into an art installation, I'm sure you could get some college credit for it in an art appreciation class.

And where did you manage to come up with a gray one?

Jester

Heath,
I guess that's a matter of "George just lucky, I guess"!  Seriously, I happened to spot this one on Ebay at the right time when my pockets were full & the second highest bid was under mine.  I should also mention that there are a couple others in that line up that cost more than that one. ::)
Stephen