News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hideous Telephones

Started by Stephen Furley, August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

I would buy it, give it to a fellow phone collector just to see his reaction.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 16, 2014, 02:15:39 AMhow would you restore it??

Take it apart, soak the affected parts in soapy water, wait 'til the glue is softened, then peel off the cr@p until everything's removed, then give it a wash... :)

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 16, 2014, 02:15:39 AM
OMG! now, I've seen everything.... who would do this to a telephone? if you obtained this, how would you restore it?? I'm not sure, but steaming looks like an option!

Why would anyone want to "restore" it?
What is the purpose of that?  Someone spend time and created something, in their view, artistic, and it has just as much right to exist as anything else.  There are plenty of other phones you can "restore".
If it were your kid's art class project, would you still wash it all off ?

TelePlay

I kind of like the end result (and the number card is interesting), even though it's still a phone that fits this topic.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13079.msg137432#msg137432

twocvbloke

Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2014, 08:48:16 AMWhy would anyone want to "restore" it?

Same reason they'd restore anything else, it's about the phone's originality, not the Blue Peter artwork with sticky back plastic and newspaper (see Youtube for an explanation)... :)

Fabius

It just screams STEAMPUNK!
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

How are you supposed to answer the phone with out impaling your palm on the antlers?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenton K

That's just part of the experience!

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 16, 2014, 11:41:55 AM
How are you supposed to answer the phone with out impaling your palm on the antlers?

It probably isn't meant to be used.  No cords. 
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Remember, it's "artwork."

Ben

JimH

You never know...it could be a 1937 Yale Blue or Medium Brown original 302 with a seamless handset just waiting to be uncovered!
Jim H.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 16, 2014, 01:36:50 PM
Remember, it's "artwork."

Ben

It's what my wife and I call "Artsy Fartsy"
-Bill G

twocvbloke

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 16, 2014, 02:04:12 PMIt's what my wife and I call "Artsy Fartsy"

What I call it isn't suitable for this forum... ;D

Babybearjs

got you guys going...now, because it could have been someones art project, would you leave it as-is and replace the cords, and get a dial tone out of it.... or what? this is the first time I've ever seen a 302 redone this way.... after restoring so many of these and seeing how beautiful the actual phone really is.... I'm not sure what I would do.... do you think someone who owned a restaurant, who has a "antique" and "Vintage" interior would buy something like this to show off? or even have in use at the cash register?   its an interesting piece none the less....
John

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 18, 2014, 04:30:23 AMwould you leave it as-is and replace the cords, and get a dial tone out of it....

This is assuming all the internals are there and complete, and in working order. And you still have the problem of picking up the handset without hurting it, or oneself, when the phone "rings," of course. Could need a lot more than cords. Interior pictures would be nice.