News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Decor phone

Started by Greg G., August 03, 2010, 04:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

The bronze 202 I think is the first vintage phone I've acquired that I don't intend to be a working phone, mostly due to the fragility of the paint job.  Eventually I may get around to hooking it up just to check it out, but it would still not be used, I would just take the line cord off again and put it back on the shelf.  Aunt Gladys almost looks like she's admiring it.  The NEC is pretty much a decor piece also.  It fully functions, but the audio is not very good.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

That's a great display.  When you put Decor Phone in the tagline of this thread I thought it would be one of the 70's phones that were part of the Design Line, but this is much cooler.  I probably would be hesitant about using that 202 as well, paint chips pretty easily and you can't get that finish back. 

Doug Rose

Greg....it is a beauty! I wouldn't even try to get it working, why chance damaging the paint. It's the showpiece of your collection....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on August 03, 2010, 07:53:19 PM
That's a great display.  When you put Decor Phone in the tagline of this thread I thought it would be one of the 70's phones that were part of the Design Line, but this is much cooler.  I probably would be hesitant about using that 202 as well, paint chips pretty easily and you can't get that finish back. 

70s Design Line phones?  I consider those eyesores, not decor.  There were a couple of Donut phones in that collection I just bought that are going out as soon as I can unload them.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

And let's face it, those E1 handsets and even the F1 handsets don't lend themselves very well for prolonged conversations.  They are too hard to cradle between head and shoulder.  The real work horses for me are my 500 sets.  I have two plugged in, one by my computer desk, and one by the bed. 
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

i think the E1's Are far more easy to hande than the F1 but the G styles are by far the most comfortable. I anm pretty good at keeping an F1 inbetween  my shoulder and ear but its quite a sight  ;) ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Greg, that bronze 202 is very nice.  That was a good find and worth your drive to pick up those phones.  The new Avatar look great too.

Greg G.

While we're on the subject, is there some sort of sealant I can use to help prevent further erosion of the paint job?
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Greg....I wouldn't risk it. It looks really great the way it is. The Old Brass finish is in still in really nice condition, considering it painted and has been used. I aggree with not trying to make it work. Why bother, you don't want any more damage by the handset being picked up and replaced or worse, knocked to the floor. This is a work of art that you are displaying.....Doug
Kidphone

bingster

I agree.  The vast majority of these old metallic finishes are found in an incredibly bad condition.  Yours is in amazing shape by comparison.  I wouldn't add to the finish, or alter it in any way.  These finishes are really rather tough, and wear only with regular use.  If you're not using it, there should be no further loss.  I'd just dust it occasionally and admire it.  
= DARRIN =

LarryInMichigan

Is the plant behind it real (it doesn't look real in the picture)?  If it is, you don't want it coming into contact with the phone or the surface of your radio cabinet, for that matter.  The moisture and juices from the plant can cause damage.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 04, 2010, 06:04:48 PM
Is the plant behind it real (it doesn't look real in the picture)?  If it is, you don't want it coming into contact with the phone or the surface of your radio cabinet, for that matter.  The moisture and juices from the plant can cause damage.

Larry

No, it's plastic.  My idea of plant care is to dust it now and then.  "Gladys" isn't my aunt either, I found her picture in an antique store.
- Mike Row
e