News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm going to POTS!

Started by Greg G., September 02, 2010, 04:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

My telephone service is hard wired. Land line.
Does that mean I'm pots?
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Phonesrfun

You are definitely POTS, unless you also want to admit to being other things.  Phone collector comes to mind.
-Bill G

KeithB

Can I still claim POTS (we used to order a '3002' line for modems) if I have DSL service ???

Doug Rose

Plain old telephone service is a copper line to your house. It is going the way of the 8 track player, although I do miss hearing AM stations and CB radio on my house phone...Doug
Kidphone

bwanna

keith, do you have dial tone coming into the house with the dsl?...if so that is POTS
donna

Greg G.

Wasn't even up and running and had to have a Qwest phone repair guy come in and trouble-shoot a problem.  (I asked for Donna, but they said they couldn't send her!) I was getting no dial tone, and calling the number from another phone said it was not in service.  Qwest said it showed as being off-hook, but there wasn't any phone plugged in.

To make a long story short, it was because I still had the cable company phone modem plugged into the jack in the bedroom, even though I had dumped their phone service several months ago.  All that was needed was to remove the mod-to-mod cord that ran from the modem to the jack.  Works fine now.  I also learned on a POTS line you still have to dial 1 if it's a number with a different area code.

Qwest phone guy:  "Where do you get all these phones?"
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

yup thankfully ours isn't long to dial just 731
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

KeithB

Quote from: bwanna on September 04, 2010, 10:56:23 PM
keith, do you have dial tone coming into the house with the dsl?...if so that is POTS
Bwanna, I was just kidding ;D with everyone when I asked. 
We definitely have POTS, not U-verse.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on September 05, 2010, 03:07:50 PM

Qwest phone guy:  "Where do you get all these phones?"

At least he recognised them AS PHONES!

Terry

bwanna

keith, even if you have uverse, you can still have POTS riding the same pair. but most people opt for voip with the uverse...better price pkg..

greg....why didn't you call me ??? ;)
donna

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on September 05, 2010, 08:49:07 PM
keith, even if you have uverse, you can still have POTS riding the same pair. but most people opt for voip with the uverse...better price pkg..

greg....why didn't you call me ??? ;)

Didn't know your number, otherwise if I had thought of that, I would have.   ;) 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e