News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bakelite English Telephone??

Started by Doug Rose, July 26, 2020, 12:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Your 232 also FWR so like the other, had a trip for refurbishment (1955) to the GPO Factory in Cwmcarn (Wales).
Base also confirms a dial (232F).

The red phone I would love in my collection but unlikely to happen.

Quote from: countryman on July 28, 2020, 03:26:14 PM
I've never seen a switch like that in the last pic but it looks really handy and useful!

https://www.britishtelephones.com/t248.htm

Two versions were made, Bellset #39 and Bellset #44.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on July 28, 2020, 03:34:57 PM

The red phone I would love in my collection but unlikely to happen.

CJ.... so would you have picked the Red or the Green. The Red did stretch by budget almost 40 years ago, but I always regretted not getting the Green as well.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 28, 2020, 03:53:53 PM
CJ.... so would you have picked the Red or the Green. The Red did stretch by budget almost 40 years ago, but I always regretted not getting the Green as well.....Doug

The green are hard to find and fetch more, but I prefer the red (a few red phones are sneaking into the collection).

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on July 28, 2020, 03:34:57 PM
Two versions were made, Bellset #39 and Bellset #44.

The Bellset shown is a Bellset No 39

Jack

tubaman

Doug, that red 232 is a beauty. It's got the early type cradle too, which is nice.
I have black and ivory versions in my collection, but not red.
As for green, I doubt I'll ever be prepared to pay the price they tend to go for.
:)

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 29, 2020, 01:10:37 AM
The Bellset shown is a Bellset No 39

Jack

Just in case folks hadn't noticed the difference, Doug's phone is the Bellset #39 (window to right).
Other is a Bellset #44 (window to left).

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on July 29, 2020, 03:06:27 AM
Doug, that red 232 is a beauty. It's got the early type cradle too, which is nice.
I have black and ivory versions in my collection, but not red.
As for green, I doubt I'll ever be prepared to pay the price they tend to go for.
I got the Red for $150. This was close to 40 years ago, when I just started. You could purchase really nice phones at a Flea Market for $10. Before the Internet, before eBay. You got phones from the ads in the Back of the ATCA Monthly or lucky at Antique Stores. So this was A LOT to outlay for a phone. I had to borrow money from a friend to purchase one. Usually $100 was plenty to go to a Flea Market, we hit the Antique store on the way home. I like the Red so I got the Red, even though the Green had matching cords. Every time I look at this phone, I think of the one that got away....that I had in my hands....Doug
Kidphone