News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Wall Phone for Call Box??

Started by Doug Rose, July 27, 2020, 09:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

this is different, it looks like it might have been in a call box or recessed into a wall. It is is really nice shape, dials out and conversation is clear. It does not ring, but appears that the wires are not connected. I cannot figure how to get the hookswitch off so I can see inside.

Any insight is appreciated...Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

That may be an elevator telephone.
I think you need to remove the screws holding the front cover to access the innards.
You may also need to pull the screws that have nuts on them (as seen from back view).
Just a  guess, Let us know how it comes apart.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

I removed the four Brass Screws and it moved but the Hookswith was still causing it to remain on. I didn't want to to and irreversible damage so I left it at that.  I got Dial tone wired on it and it works but needs the ringer wired up.

You might be right about an elevator phone...good call...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

It looks like the same switch hook as on a 554. Try removing the spring first. Then the pin that goes through the cradle can be pushed out to disengage the cradle.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Thanks David...I will give it a try....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 27, 2020, 02:20:28 PM
I removed the four Brass Screws and it moved but the Hookswith was still causing it to remain on. I didn't want to to and irreversible damage so I left it at that.  I got Dial tone wired on it and it works but needs the ringer wired up.

You might be right about an elevator phone...good call...Doug
>edit< Over-all the phone seems to be a Kellogg 554, with a non-standard cover. >edit<
The front cover looks like it should slip off like a 554. I don't think removing the switch hook will help.
The nuts on the back may be what is keeping it together now.
Just more guesses,
Jim
You live, You learn,

poplar1

Jim, I see what you mean. I hadn't noticed that the cutout f9r the hook switch and for the dial are just one continuous opening. So if the faceplate can be pulled forward enough to clear the dial, then moved up, the dial hole should be large enough to let the cradle pass through.

One difference when compared to a 554: you have to remove the 554 housing to install. Here, you don't
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: poplar1 on July 27, 2020, 03:25:33 PM

One difference when compared to a 554: you have to remove the 554 housing to install. Here, you don't
Hence, non-standard cover :)
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

I think this set-up is probably an elevator telephone retro-fit kit. It could replace an elevator industry  standard telephone with a modern 554 type phone.
This is still a guess,
Jim
You live, You learn,

FABphones

I would try this:

Remove backplate
Remove dial/surround (screws to rear)
Remove four front faceplate screws
Lift faceplate upwards so hook is 'lowered' into the dial cavity
Lift faceplate away

*Trying to look more closely, are those black screws to front, if so are they holding the dial/surround in place? Does removing those screws plus the four free up the faceplate from the dial/surround so it can be tilted and lifted up and away, by sliding the hook down into the dial cavity?

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble