News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd old western electric line cord

Started by markosjal, April 15, 2021, 03:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I acquired a box of phone parts and among other things i found what appears to be a Western Electric line cord , but seems strange.

First side A appears to be for connecting to a 42a terminal (?) with a semi circular cable. Side B appears to be for connecting to the set but has a grommet and a screw hole.

Was curious as to the application of such a cord
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Key2871

I've seen those before. It's old, as in 60s but not unusual to speak of. Back then things were made much better than the 70s, and on.
Western Electric Did make things well, to stand the test of time.
KEN

markosjal

I rememver the 42a terminal block side style it is the side that has the screw hole and the sheathed leads that I find odd

Jim Stettler

Quote from: markosjal on April 15, 2021, 03:59:12 AM
I acquired a box of phone parts and among other things i found what appears to be a Western Electric line cord , but seems strange.

First side A appears to be for connecting to a 42a terminal (?) with a semi circular cable. Side B appears to be for connecting to the set but has a grommet and a screw hole.

Was curious as to the application of such a cord
The grommet and screw hole is for the 42A block side.

Some subscribers liked to move  their  500 set as they walked around the house and talked.
This  strain relief style was for this type of subscriber. I think they were only used on long cords. The 'fat' end on the telephone  side helps protect the line cord at that end.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had an Aunt that was this type of subscriber. She had a lot of cord issues until she had the Phone jack moved from the bedroom to the living room and added long cords.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Connection to 42A block is shown in Fig. 6 of BSP 461-602-100 Issue 1 in TCI library.

I seem to recall that the restraint at the other end was installed under the ringer screw in a 500 set.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

markosjal

Quote from: poplar1 on April 15, 2021, 06:10:48 PM
Connection to 42A block is shown in Fig. 6 of BSP 461-602-100 Issue 1 in TCI library.

I seem to recall that the restraint at the other end was installed under the ringer screw in a 500 set.

That is what I read in another thread here today ( screw on ringer) and it seems I have seen it long ago.

MMikeJBenN27

This is the type of cord - 25 feet - our phones have.

Mike