News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My House of Phones, or the Telephone Museum of PEI!

Started by DavePEI, December 28, 2012, 08:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Thanks, Dave!

I guess the picture, and reflection just deceived me... I have seen the NE 1500's, (want one, and a 1554) ;).

The picture looked like the phone had a sharp crease in the case, lower LH side, and some metal showing through; thought I had stumbled upon something I hadn't seen before.

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

The early WE F- numbered Touch-Tone prototypes as well as the early WE 1500s used 500 housings with the round hole for the dial.

NE never made  1554 or 2554 Miniwalls like the WE, SC and ITT version. Rather, both their 1554 and 2554 kept the familiar 554 chassis and housing with a round adapter plate.

ITT makes both the miniwall 2554 and a pushbutton full sized set with a round adapter; this set is coded 3554.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Finally:

The NE 1317A switchboard I purchased last fall has been mounted in the museum... Finally!

It is extremely heavy, and a number of items had to be moved out of its way and for that reason it took me a very long time to get around to it.

To assist, I screwed a 2x4 to the wall to take some of its weight -  even then, when I reached for my screwdriver, it toppled onto the floor on top of the vacuum cleaner! Amazingly, no damage done and on the next try I managed to get a screw in to hold it!

The board was heavily modified during its service years, first of all, the separate receiver and transmitter changed over to a handset and hook mounted on the left hand side. A nice job of veneer was done to cover the old holes many years ago. Then, its wiring was modified to make it more similar to the wiring of a 1240 board, all modifications while in service.

These boards were originally used on smaller farmer's exchanges, and most were gone from the Island years ago as Island Tel began buying out the independents.

There was a previous discussion about this board at:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7666.0

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Very nice display, this summer I'm building displays.. I'l share a picture when they are done.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 13, 2013, 05:14:25 PM
Very nice display, this summer I'm building displays.. I'l share a picture when they are done.

Ben
This is the newest room of the museum - I use it mostly for live displays of phones so it will give visiting kids a chance to play with live phones. It is where I have my line simulators and my Panasonic KSUs, and the two payphones on the controller. So the displays there are somewhat fluid at the moment, positions being adjusted, so I can fit more in there, etc.

Actually aside from the work of mounting the board, there was a lot of other work to do including moving a 500 set connected to one of the line simulators, moving the 211, and all the associated wiring, as I only had the one spot suitable for the board. I have put off doing it for a long time, as my health hasn't been good, but I finally decided I had to get it done!

Glad it is, as I love that board! I like it every bit as much as my big 1240 board hooked up to all the magneto sets in  the other room, and the 555 hooked up to a line of 500s and 2500s, and 303, 352's there...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

While looking for photos for an award I am being presented a week from now, we came across this blast from the past ca 2004, taken just before I began preparing the other house to become the museum. It would be one of the only photos one would ever find of me in a suit! This was taken in our current house. If nothing else, it should scare off the rats!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Diggn' the pine paneling! Though when you took all of the phones off the wall their must be more knots...

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 10, 2013, 09:29:15 PM
Diggn' the knoty pine paneling!
Pure 1980! The last time that room was renovated! When I move the phones over to the museum, I filled the holes with those crayon type wax fillers, and really none of the holes can be noticed today, as they blended in so well. I suppose if someone looked really closely, they would find them.

Oh, how my parents loved that panelling ;)

Only phone left in that room now is a 1317 and of course our modern phone. You can't see it in that shot, but our favorite phone was my QSD3A, which of course now is in the museum, and which Linda still misses. We used to dangle holly on the coin gauge at Christmas time, and she loved it!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DebbieDoo

Your museum is so cool.  I especially love the old operators switchboards.  Can you imagine if you had all your phones hooked up and they all rang at the same time!!!  Oh loud that would be.  :D

DavePEI

Quote from: DebbieDoo on March 21, 2014, 03:15:38 PM
Your museum is so cool.  I especially love the old operators switchboards.  Can you imagine if you had all your phones hooked up and they all rang at the same time!!!  Oh loud that would be.  :D
Hi Debbie:

Believe it or not, all telephones in the museum do work - many are hooked into the switchboards, line simulators, KSUs, Strowger switches, and the Panasonic System. So, out of the 500 or so telephones in the museum, about 30 or so of the 500 or so there will actually ring when called from other phones on the same system. On outside calls, only a few phones are set to ring. Even the magneto sets on the 1240 switchboard will call via the switchboard..

Lots to play with and to see!

Dave   
C*NET 1-651-0001

DebbieDoo

ChristmasGuy

Quote from: DavePEI on June 04, 2013, 01:05:02 PM
Hi Guys:

Here is proof that the workshop of the museum isn't always pristine! I have been quite busy lately working on quite a few projects lately, and the workshop is in quite a mess, though I always try to keep it in good order. It has also been a couple of years since I posted a new photo of it, and of course the amount of junque, parts, and equipment has grown along with the number of shelves. Only the lower two shelves in each area show due to the ceiling height.

Dave

I just adore your Step to step switches! Would love to find some for my collection to have a functioning setup!
Jack Sidlauskas

MMikeJBenN27