News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 110: Rare Stromberg Carlson Orchid 1212 "FATBOY"

Started by TelePlay, January 15, 2014, 09:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Since the last contest was a reserve that was not met, and the contest was cancelled, let's try 110 once again with another reserve auction. This one may go to a sale based on the rarity of the phone. As in past "reserve" auctions, the right is hereby reserved to cancel this auction completely with no winner if the auction bids DO NOT exceed the reserve, whatever that might be, when the eBay auction ends.

This phone started at $9.99 in a 5 day auction and has just under 4 days to go. As such, it will be a short contest and, under the rules, guesses will be accepted for about the next three days. Again, as with the last "reserve" contests, if the reserve is not met, this auction contest will be cancelled with no winner. So, take a guess and you "may" be the winner.

The seller listed it as an "RARE ORCHID COLORED STROMBERG CARLSON MODEL 1212 "FATBOY" DESK PHONE" with the item condition as " - - " and states " Up for auction is an extremely rare Stromberg Carlson model 1212 "Fatboy" desk set in orchid. This is an actual SC model 1212 in the rare color of orchid, not painted. You can see by looking at my photo of the inside of the phone the staining that was all over the other side of the phone. After much sanding to remove the deep stains I literally used half of a large brick of buffing rouge to bring back the original color and surface.  The handset has been painted to match the body. I also applied a coat of clear semi-gloss urethane over the paint. When I received the 1212 it was terribly stained and had shrunken in size considerably. The bottom cover holding the ringer and condenser no longer fit inside the body as it is supposed to do. In order to get the bottom to fit in to the body I had to grind off the side wall of the metal bottom. I used a reproduction rubber gasket to place around the bottom. Once I had placed the rubber gasket around the bottom and screwed it closed tight I noticed that there was a slight gap between the end of the body and the bottom cover. To compensate for this gap I placed an old handset cord within the gasket. In looking at the phone you would never notice that anything had been done to it other than the restoration. You can see this in the picture with the two SC 1212's side by side. With all of that said this is a very nice example of this rare phone. The color is stunning, especially the perch and plunger. It is completely free of any stains, nicks or scratches and would make a wonderful addition to your collection. In 25 + years of collecting and restoration work this is the first orchid 1212 that I have had or even seen. It is a very rare phone and 100% original so don't let this one get away."

Many more photos at the eBay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321298676086

Still another chance to either move up a rung or to get onto the -> Contest Standings <- list, you have to play to "maybe" win!

New members to the forum are hereby invited, are always very welcome and are encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows where the fickle finger of fate will end up on any of these eBay auctions. However, it does pay to get your guess in early, before someone else grabs your guess. I will be watching guesses and helping members as the contest progresses to prevent crowding under Rule #3. With that said, have at it . . .

If you want to check out all of the phones that have been in past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-

S C O R E B O A R D

$   600.00 - Kenton K  ( 15 ) -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $461.99
$   650.00 - wds  ( 7 )
$   800.00 - poplar1  ( 8 )
$   850.00 - AE40FAN  ( 13 )
$   900.00 - kleinkaliber  ( 12 )
$1,175.00 - tallguy58  ( 4 )
$1,355.00 - DavePEI  ( 9 )
$1,557.00 - AE_Collector  ( 11 )
$1,750.00 - Mr. Bones  ( 5 )
$1,813.00 - old_stuff_hound  ( 14 ) --- (split the difference guess)
$1,876.00 - Sargeguy  ( 2 )
$2,000.00 - Matilo Telephones  ( 10 )
$2,350.00 - baldopeacock  ( 3 )
$2,727.27 - Russ Kirk  ( 6 )
$3,201.00 - HarrySmith  ( 1 )

Early Morning Auction Status Changes

01-14-14    Listed   $    9.99
01-15-14    2 bids   $  19.99
01-16-14    3 bids   $  24.06
01-17-14    4 bids   $  27.00
01-18-14    8 bids   $157.50 ,
01-19-14   7 bidders, 8 bids $461.99 Ended at 17:00:42 PST

Contempra

Hi teleplay. this is a nice color for a fat-boy...I know nothing about this model but I let my comment :)

Now 2 bidders...

HarrySmith

Nice color! Great restoration too. I think it is a rare one and I will guress accordingly, $3201.00
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

baldopeacock

$2350 because I honestly don't have a clue what it'll bring.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Mr. Bones

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

poplar1

$800. The handset is painted.

"This is an actual SC model 1212 in the rare color of orchid, not painted....The handset has been painted to match the body."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Matilo Telephones

Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

AE_Collector

I am going with $1557 unless I am stepping on any toes. Adjust if necessary John.

A tough call for sure. Very unusual but are there any Big Bux collectors of SC sets?

Terry

kleinkaliber

I'm going to guess $900.00.  Lately I've been guessing way to low and end up being shocked at what the sale price is, but I think the amount of resto work this one took is going to hurt it.

AE40FAN

850.00  I wonder if the handset was a replacement or did it come from the factory painted like that?