"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green WE 212 Spacesaver

Started by ESalter, November 24, 2015, 11:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESalter

Hi Everyone-

This is a little bit after the fact, but I still wanted to show these photos.  A few months ago I saw Jeff Lamb's post showing how he painted a WE 212 with rattlecans of Krylon Hosta Green and was inspired enough to make one myself. 

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14634.msg152322#msg152322

I dug up what I had in the 211/212 and #6 dial parts boxes and had everything I needed except for a mounting bracket and chrome cradle.  I had considered having a cradle chrome plated, but eventually decided against it.  I posted on here in August looking for those items and Doug Rose came thru and had exactly what I needed. 

I stripped all of the parts to be painted with aircraft stripper and then cleaned them very well to make sure there was no remaining residue.  I wetsanded all of the surfaces with 400 grit and then primed them with a gray Rust-Oleum pintura self etching primer.  I use that on my railroad signal restoration projects and couldn't be happier with it.  I definitely recommend it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rustoleum-249322-12-Oz-Dark-Green-Self-Etching-Primer-Spray-Paint-Pack-of-6/16816075

I let that dry for a couple hours then just like Jeff, I covered them with Krylon Hosta Leaf Green.  The paint seems very durable and covered extremely well.  Since it's enamel, I made sure to let everything dry thoroughly before handling or assembling it.  I let the parts hang for 3 or 4 hours and then carefully went over them with a heat gun.  This helped get rid of that "gummy" feeling that enamel has.  A couple more days of dry time and I put everything together.  I was lucky and had a really nice G3 handset laying around that I got off of a broken non-mod 2554, so it doesn't have any wear marks on the handle from a desk cradle.  Like Jeff commented on his, the green isn't absolutely identical, but its certainly close enough.  I finished this project in late August but it's still sitting on top of one of our display cases waiting for me to decide where I want to hang it up.  The set from Doug was a G7, so it has a bunch of extra hookswitch contacts.  I'm not entirely sure how I want to utilize that yet, but I'm sure I will come up with something!

HarrySmith

Looks Great!

Doug came through with the handset hook and THE BRACKET??!! Very lucky, those brackets are kinda hard to come by!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Eric....I have a factory green and yours is its twin. Outstanding job!....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 25, 2015, 07:47:30 PM
Pictures?

I didn't even know they existed in color from the factory!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 27, 2015, 12:51:15 PM

BSP Section C38.323 Issue 2, May 1959:

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on November 27, 2015, 12:57:44 PM

BSP Section C38.323 Issue 2, May 1959:
:o

Time to start hunting...
Christian Petterson

Jim Stettler

They also made 2212. I used to have a black one.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 25, 2015, 07:47:30 PM
Pictures?

Christian....in my first picture zoom in, I have a Green and a Red, the Red has a Red thermoplastic F1 and the Green has a G1. There is also an Ivory that I think is a Old Chicago creation that Janet found in Brimfield in 2014. I do like the Brass on Ivory....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8211.msg142767#msg142767
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

Whew!  Remember the children's book "Where's Waldo"?
-Bill G

oldguy

Gary

Babybearjs

Nice! now where would one go to get these electroplated? I have several I'd like to get chromed but don't know where to go? any ideas??
John

Doug Rose

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 28, 2015, 02:00:18 PM
Bill...that is funny as there is a "Where's Waldo"  Bookmark stuck in the room....somewhere!....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 29, 2015, 10:34:23 AM
Bill...that is funny as there is a "Where's Waldo"  Bookmark stuck in the room....somewhere!....Doug
Okay, I've been searching through the pictures for 15 minutes, and I still can't find the bookmark!! :o
Christian Petterson

Babybearjs

I have one of these just in black. I tell people its the bar phone. when I was living in Nampa, ID.  I had it installed out in the covered patio where summer parties would have been held.... looked really nice with the original subset. since you're not sure where to use it, maybe the backyard could work.... you could get one of those backyard patio bars and use it there.....would be a eye catcher!
John

Doug Rose

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 30, 2015, 09:40:04 AM
Quote from: Doug Rose on November 29, 2015, 10:34:23 AM
Okay, I've been searching through the pictures for 15 minutes, and I still can't find the bookmark!! :o
Christian...it must have been lost in the Phone Room re-carpet last year as I cannot find it either. I used to use it whenever the grandkids came over and I read to them....Doug
Kidphone