News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 211 as a Door Buzzer

Started by bigdaddylove, August 30, 2011, 05:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddylove

I live in a condo that has security doors. When someone comes over, they call our unit from the front door and we push #4 on out TT pad to unlock (buzz) the door.

Has anyone ever tried to modify a WE 211 so an installed button on the side of the unit when pushed would signal a TT #4? I have seen an article where you can install a TT interface, but all I want is a little button or switch.

I do realize that a Panasonic PBX (or a Rotatone for that matter) unit would solve this problem but I'm not in a position to get one of those -- yet.

Thanks!

Adam

I take back the response I just typed.  After thinking about it for another minute:

Yes, it is possible to hook up an older style Western Electric touch-tone pad to generate one specific tone with the push of one remote button.  However, hooked up that way, that is all you'd be able to do with it (it wouldn't be able to generate other tones, for example).  And you have to come up with someplace to hide the guts of a touch-tone pad.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

rdelius

Uasually the button mod involved removing the dial mount. A number card retainer will fill the hole  and a metal disc with the push button replaced the number card
No damage to anything will result
Robby

GG

You could also mount a touchtone dial in a generic black box from an electronic parts store, and wire it up to work right across the phone line or with a network block and a toggle switch.  Keep it near the WE 211 for convenience.  There are schematics available for this. 

What you should avoid for security reasons, is anything that causes the signal to be sent by just going off hook.  Having to manually dial the code will avoid the problem whereby you let someone in before talking with them and hearing them say "I'm the burglar, looking for the Smiths, do you know which unit they're in?"