News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Black NE Uniphone with NU Handset

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 28, 2018, 04:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

With all the discussion around here lately about NE Uniphones, I though that I would post about the Uniphone that I bought several weeks and reassembled today.  When I saw this in April at an antiques mall, it was very dirty but had a nice NU handset and a $29.99 price on it.  I was given a 10% discount for asking, so I paid a total of about $28.61.  When I started cleaning and polishing the phone, I was pleased to see that the bakelite still had a nice finish to it, though there were a number of scratches which I mostly managed to sand out.  The bakelite on these phones sand better than most.  I was disappointed when I discovered that one of the corners was broken, but the phone mostly looks good, and the handset is probably worth more than I paid for the phone.  The phone came with a dial blank, but I somehow misplaced it, so I added a WE #5 dial and a repainted finger wheel.  The phone works perfectly now and looks nice too.  The dates all appear to be 1941 and 42.

Larry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jester

One of my favorite "foreign" telephones!  Although I was introduced to it early in my collecting days-- I found one some hour north of my hometown-- I didn't add one to my collection for 9 years-- I couldn't afford the $25.00 asking price (1984).!  Your example is a real bargain-- especially because of the unique handset.  I have an example of your phone with the same handset-- actually two, with the other being burled walnut colored.  It isn't the best find-- one of the rear cradle ears has snapped off the body!  However, the handset is in fine condition, and I am searching for a way to repair the top cover.  Anyway-- congratulations on your rare find!
Stephen

tubaman

Love that handset - much nicer than the usual F1.
;D

LarryInMichigan

The handset is quite nice, and it was what made me buy this phone.  The NU handset is certainly more stylish than the F1.  I have another NU handset which cost me much more several years ago.  It came with a junk North imitation phone: forum link.  I moved it to another NE Uniphone.

Larry

Ktownphoneco

Here's something to watch out for if you spot any Uniphones with what appears to be an "NU" handset.     Look closely at the handset.    When Northern introduced the Uniphone in September of  1935, the first sets off the assembly line in Montreal, were equipped with the "NF" handset.    The handset uses the same Bakelite handle as the "NU", and while the transmitter is the same, (an F-1), the transmitter cap is a two piece affair, with a Bakelite ring which holds a black perforated disk which is exactly the same as the transmitter disk on an E-1 handset.     
The receiver assembly is comprised of a black Bakelite cup with 2 external contacts molded into the Bakelite, a receiver coil similar to that which is in the E-1, and with a receiver diaphragm, also similar to the E-1 handset.     There is what looks to be a design number in red or vermilion ink on the back of the receiver cup, "D96337" which is unusual for anything made by Northern.
This is strictly "MY" theory, but I strongly suspect that Western Electric, or perhaps more likely, Bell Labs in NY, provided Northern with the receiver assembly for the "NF" handset, and that it may have been an experimental or prototype receiver which was looked at for the new Western F-1 handset, but set aside in favor of the HA1 receiver module.
The "NF" was only made for a short period of time before it was replaced by the "NU" handset, and there are aren't that many in circulation.    The few that do exist, were made in both black Bakelite and a lesser number in burled walnut Bakelite material.     Pictures below.   Double click to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

HarrySmith

The brown handset in your picture appears to have the same writing as the early F handset with 7 lines of text. The name is covered but it looks just like the WE item!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

For comparison...

<edit: found and added a photo of the NE F1 handle marking>
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Thankee Sai Paul.

I guess it is not the same, but similar :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

Yes your right Harry.      Here's the printing on it  .....
                                                                                       Northern Electric
                                                                                       Company Limited
                                                                                 Patented 1922  1923  1927
                                                                                   1930  1931  1932  1934     
                                                                                             RD 1935
                                                                                                  NF
                                                                                         Made in Canada

I've searched both the United States and Canadian Patent offices until I'm "cross eyed", and haven't  been able to find the actual patent for either the "NF" or the "NU" handset.   During that era, Northern pretty much copied Western's format when the company name, patent information R&D information and place of manufacture were engraved into the molds.     I've found the Canadian Industrial Design information for the Uniphone desk and wall sets, and a generic drawing of the handset, but it could either be an "NF" or an "NU", registered to Northern Electric in 1935.

Jeff

Doug Rose

Jeff....thanks for pointing out the difference, I used to know this, but it slipped out of my memory banks  8). I have a Nice Burled Walnut #2 with a NF. The screen is black like my Brown WE E1. Thanks for upgrading my memory...Doug
Kidphone

Jester

Doug... I know that phone!  'Tis a beauty!
Stephen

Doug Rose

Swapped for a Blue 554 if I remember correctly. Memory does have issues at times, not enough bandwidth  :o. .....Doug
Kidphone