News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Show us your first 2019 purchase

Started by FABphones, January 09, 2019, 04:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

My first phone purchase of 2019. The Northern Telcom airplane phone.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

compubit

I like the Alexander Graham Plane phones.  I have the orange one on my bookcase, and a friend who's a flight attendant for Southwest Airlines, saw it and loved it. I bought one before a Christmas and had a cafe-au-lait Rendezvous that wasn't working, so I swapped the transmitter & receiver between the two handsets (my Rendezvous used an electret mike), and gave him the phone in the original livery colors for Southwest- he was very happy and put it up by his Southwest Teddy Bears.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

Those Telstar phones have a heavy base likely to keep them from flipping over when opening the lid. I can see one smashing the cover in transit quite easily. I have one that I keep thinking of selling. It has a handset cord problem, someone (previous owner) performed surgery where it enters the handset but if I remember correctly it still isn't working. Lid is good except it seems like it has sprung apart a bit.... stretched wider slightly so it doesn't smoothly stay on the pins it rotates on. Always figured I would have to heat it and try to very slightly move each edge inwards a tiny bit. I would consider selling it as is or parting it out if a couple of people could make use of some if the parts.

Terry

HarrySmith

My first purchase of the year was at the Maitland Florida show on Saturday. It is a 3 hour drive for me from Coral Springs. I learned in past years that getting there early is the only way to get some good stuff, arriving late is a waste of time. I got up at 3 AM to get there as it was starting. I picked up some payphone locks & a vault door for my projects which was the main reason I wanted to go. I also picked up a cheap metal 302 and a scissors candlestick which I have been wanting for my collection. All in all a good day. I was there for less than 3 hours, talked to a few guys I have not seen in a while and headed back home. 
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 21, 2019, 08:28:07 AM
...I also picked up a.....scissors candlestick which I have been wanting for my collection...
Wow. This deserves its own thread please with more info.  :) Definitely a Find of the Month.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Quote from: FABphones on January 21, 2019, 10:16:32 AM
Wow. This deserves its own thread please with more info.  :) Definitely a Find of the Month.

Thanks. I have not even really looked at it yet. I will check it out, get some more pictures and post it soon.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I have been trying to get all the North Electric Colors. I still need Red and Blue. Good luck with that!

I saw this on eBay $40 and $13.75 shipping. Great? Right!.... paint is just amazing. It is almost perfect, a few chips on the handset you can't see when it's displayed.

So what's the problem? It's a MAROON SET. I already have a Maroon, so I am going to have it be red....for awhile..

Even when its good.....nothing is easy  :-\ ...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-North-Electric-Shiny-Red-Bakelite-Desk-Rotary-Telephone-Phone/223332143270
Kidphone

Scott

If it helps Doug, I looks red to me. What makes it maroon?

Scott K.

Doug Rose

Scott...if you look at the last picture, the bottom is maroon, The painted phone was not black but a desirable maroon color...Doug
Kidphone

dc4code

I got a Red (New-Old-Stock) Trimline Rotary phone! (For $9!)

I also got a Black ITT 2500 for $1!

The date '01/01/2008' is incorrect, Date of photos taken is Jan 27, 2019, at 1:25 AM

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

A cross referenced alphabetical listing of members who have posted their First Purchase of 2019 has been created at this link:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21699.msg221033#msg221033

Scott

Got it. Thanks for sharing the photos. Nice looking telephone.

Scott K.

Jim Stettler

There is still a few more days to post your  January 2019  find in the  Find of the month.We only have 4 contenders so far.
You have to be in to win.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Jim Stettler on January 28, 2019, 06:29:49 PM
There is still a few more days to post your  January 2019  find in the  Find of the month.We only have 4 contenders so far.
You have to be in to win.
Jim

If ya got any extra money to share.... ;D
TWinbrook7

compubit

My first (and so far only) purchase of 2019 is a 30AM "Private Line Apparatus" box for a ComKey 416 system, that looks to be in NOS condition (clean as a whistle inside and out and no evidence that the punch down block has been punched down at all. Paid $30.00+$13.00 shipping.

(Bonus that the cover has the classic 50s/60s logo, even though the insides are from 82...)

With this and the 2x6x50 66 Punchdown Block to punch my cables into, i should have a nice 5 line Comkey 416 system. The challenge will be to fingers out how to run lines from the basement to upstairs (which may have to wait until I redo my kitchen... as that's when the walls will come down...)
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!